Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kira
Regular Visitor

How to new a visualizations with matrix result ?

I just want to know if matrix result could be input for visualazation. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kira,

When you create a matrix visual, you can expert data by right clicking (...) on the right top of the visual. Then you can use the expert data(result data) as data source to create any report you want.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @kira,

Actually, I am still confusing about your requirement. @carlossantiago have said how the matrix works and displays the result. And you can also see this article: Use the new Matrix visual in Power BI Desktop. Please feel free to ask if you have any question.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

Actually I have the same question about https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-matrix-visual/. Basicly I think matrix is much more like the result in excel pivort table. I just want to do some visualization with the result in matrix. Otherwise I need to do pivort table in excel before I import the data. I just wonder if I can finish all in power BI as one stop soluation.

carlossantiago
Frequent Visitor

Hi @kira,

The matrix visualization is very similar to a table visual. However you can add subtotals and Drill Up/Down your rows to display the previous/next level. So, by using matrix instead of tables you can, for example, display the total purchase by country and have an option to drill down to see the purchases by city in each country.

See below an example of matrix visual:

Capture.JPG

Kind Regards,

Carlos Santiago

Hi @carlossantiago

I know the matrix which is more like pivort in excel in my point of view. But can you share any suggestions if I just want to do visualization with matrix result ? Or I need to pre-process the data in excel with pivort table ?

Thanks

Kira

Hi @kira,

When you create a pivot table, you need to fill the following fields(picture1) If you create a matrix visual, you need to fill the fields shown in picture2.

picture1picture1picture2picture2
The Rows in Pivot table fields is equal to the Rows in matrix visual, the Columns is equal to Columns in matrix visual. If you want to use filter like pivot table, you need to create a slicer in Power BI.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft

If you have any suggestions on how to do visualization work base on those result ? Because my raw data can't create chart directly we need those tables to support summay the data then show the chart. I am not sure which could be used for this requirement or I need to do data modeling ?

Ning

Hi @kira,

When you create a matrix visual, you can expert data by right clicking (...) on the right top of the visual. Then you can use the expert data(result data) as data source to create any report you want.

1.PNG

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.