Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sahilpruthi
Helper I
Helper I

How to move your local Datasource (.csv) to Azure Data Lake

How to move your local Datasource (.csv) to Azure Data Lake such that we can use already created .pbix file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Herbert

One more thing I want to confirm is the transformation I have applied to data in .pbix needs to be done again?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
vanshrawat

Check out the links to watch your favourite TV show online
The Leftovers Season 3 Online
The Leftovers Season 3 Episode 1 Online

vanshrawat

Check out the links to watch your favourite TV show online
The Leftovers Season 3 Online
The Leftovers Season 3 Episode 1 Online

ipllive

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@sahilpruthi

If the source of already created .pbix file is .csv file in your local computer, after you upload this .csv file to Azure Data Lake, you can go to Power BI Query Editor and change the power query in Advance Editor. We just need to change the source query as below.

let
    Source = DataLake.Contents("adl://herbert.azuredatalakestore.net"),
    #"How to move your local Datasource ( csv) to Azure Data Lake csv" = Source{[Name="How to move your local Datasource (.csv) to Azure Data Lake.csv"]}[Content],
    #"Imported CSV" = Csv.Document(#"How to move your local Datasource ( csv) to Azure Data Lake csv",[Delimiter=",", Columns=2, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Imported CSV"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"
let
    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\How to move your local Datasource (.csv) to Azure Data Lake.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=2, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Date", type date}, {"Sales", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

How to move your local Datasource (.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks Herbert

One more thing I want to confirm is the transformation I have applied to data in .pbix needs to be done again?

@sahilpruthi

No, you only need to update the source lines which marked as yellow, and keep the remaining transformation lines.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Earlier i was using this :

let
Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents("C:\Users\sysadmin\Desktop\db\ipl\deliveries.csv"),[Delimiter=",", Columns=21, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"match_id", Int64.Type}, {"inning", Int64.Type}, {"batting_team", type text}, {"bowling_team", type text}, {"over", Int64.Type}, {"ball", Int64.Type}, {"batsman", type text}, {"non_striker", type text}, {"bowler", type text}, {"is_super_over", Int64.Type}, {"wide_runs", Int64.Type}, {"bye_runs", Int64.Type}, {"legbye_runs", Int64.Type}, {"noball_runs", Int64.Type}, {"penalty_runs", Int64.Type}, {"batsman_runs", Int64.Type}, {"extra_runs", Int64.Type}, {"total_runs", Int64.Type}, {"player_dismissed", type text}, {"dismissal_kind", type text}, {"fielder", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

After updating the connection for Data lake the updated string is:

let
Source = DataLake.Contents("adl://optimus.azuredatalakestore.net"),
#"deliveries csv" = Source{[Name="deliveries.csv"]}[Content],
#"Imported CSV" = Csv.Document(#"deliveries csv",[Delimiter=",", Columns=21, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"match_id", Int64.Type}, {"inning", Int64.Type}, {"batting_team", type text}, {"bowling_team", type text}, {"over", Int64.Type}, {"ball", Int64.Type}, {"batsman", type text}, {"non_striker", type text}, {"bowler", type text}, {"is_super_over", Int64.Type}, {"wide_runs", Int64.Type}, {"bye_runs", Int64.Type}, {"legbye_runs", Int64.Type}, {"noball_runs", Int64.Type}, {"penalty_runs", Int64.Type}, {"batsman_runs", Int64.Type}, {"extra_runs", Int64.Type}, {"total_runs", Int64.Type}, {"player_dismissed", type text}, {"dismissal_kind", type text}, {"fielder", type text}})
in
#"Changed Type"

But I am still getting an error that "match_id" not found. Please guide me.

@sahilpruthi

It seems that the “match_id” is a column name. Can you see the match_id column in your query table with just following queries? If not, could you please post a screenshot to me about what you get in your table?

let
Source = DataLake.Contents("adl://optimus.azuredatalakestore.net"),
#"deliveries csv" = Source{[Name="deliveries.csv"]}[Content],
#"Imported CSV" = Csv.Document(#"deliveries csv",[Delimiter=",", Columns=21, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None]),
in
#"Promoted Headers "

Best Regards,

Herbert

Resolved.

Thanks a ton.

Please also let me know data lake auto refresh data or not? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.