Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cmncp
Helper III
Helper III

How to model dimension tables with date ranges

I am trying to build a Power BI model based on HR data.  I have a main EmployeeDetails table, which contains a Personnel Number and basic employee details.  I also have many related dimension tables which contain date delimited information about each employee.  These are all 1-to-many tables, as this information can change over time for each employee.  It includes details such as the Org Unit they belong to, Pay details and Address information.  As this info changes over time, these tables have a start and end date.   

2018-04-23_10-42-18.png

As you can see, I also have a date dimension, but I do not know how to relate this to my tables, as there is both a start and end date.

I need to be able to set the date filter to a specific day and be able to dispaly the Org Unit, Pay Details or Address information that are relevant for that date.

At the moment I just have a single measure, which is a simple count of employees.

Any help is appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @cmncp,

In my opinion, I think you can try two calendar tables. One for the Start Date and one for the End Date. 

And for more specific requirement, please share us some sample data and its expected result.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.