Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vipinkmathews
Helper I
Helper I

How to migrate SSRS reports to Power BI and create new reports?

Hi

I have a requirement to migrate the exsting SSRS reports to Power BI? 

Is there any new mechanism available at the moment?

The deployed RDL Files exist in the ReportServer DB. After migration will I be able to see this as PBI Report & Dataset?

Could I create new reports from this dataset?

Kind Regards

Vipin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vipinkmathews,

Yes, you can pin a SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) report to Power BI Dashboards. A few caveats need to be mentioned about this newly pinned chart, graph or map. 

First, credentials must be stored in the report in order for the object to refresh. The pinning process actually creates a SSRS subscription which requires stored credentials in order to execute.

Furthermore if you change the item name, the object will stop updating based on the subscription. Also if the pinned object is deleted, the related subscription is not deleted and must be removed manually.

Lastly, if you try to pin an object and the SQL Server Agent is not running, the following error results. The SQL Server Agent where the SSRS database resides must be running in order to pin objects.

More details about SSRS Pinning to Power BI, please review this blog: Pinning a SQL Server Reporting Services Report to Power BI.

But we can't combine the the Report Server DB to Power BI, please review this feature request and vote it. Power BI will become better after your support.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @vipinkmathews,

Yes, you can pin a SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) report to Power BI Dashboards. A few caveats need to be mentioned about this newly pinned chart, graph or map. 

First, credentials must be stored in the report in order for the object to refresh. The pinning process actually creates a SSRS subscription which requires stored credentials in order to execute.

Furthermore if you change the item name, the object will stop updating based on the subscription. Also if the pinned object is deleted, the related subscription is not deleted and must be removed manually.

Lastly, if you try to pin an object and the SQL Server Agent is not running, the following error results. The SQL Server Agent where the SSRS database resides must be running in order to pin objects.

More details about SSRS Pinning to Power BI, please review this blog: Pinning a SQL Server Reporting Services Report to Power BI.

But we can't combine the the Report Server DB to Power BI, please review this feature request and vote it. Power BI will become better after your support.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

I have some SSRS reports, which were developed using SSRB (SQL Server Report Builder) and saved, in SSRS Reporting server and Devops, with extension rdl. Some of these reports have used many SQL queries, Stored Procedures (SP) and User Define Functions (UDFs).  I want to reproduce(not migrate or convert) these reports as Power BI reports using Power BI Desktop.  

I wonder you can help me to find a method(s) related or suggest a suitable method to incorporate objects (SPs, UDFs, database tables) used in SSRS report to produce report as a Power BI report using Power BI Desktop.

Hi Angelia

Rather than PIN SSRS reports to PBI, Is it posiible to EDIT the reports in Power BI like adding some additional visuals (charts), modify the existing table report etc.?

I assume that the dataset also will be available in PBI after migration. Will I be able to create new reports from this dataset as we could from a normal PBI published dataset?

Best Regards

Vipin

Hi @vipinkmathews,

We can not EDIT the reports in Power BI. If you create report in Power Bi desktop, and publish it to service, the dataset also be published to PB service, you can create new report using the dataset in Power BI service.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thank you very much Angelia

Hi @vipinkmathews,

You're welcome, I am glad to help you. Please mark the right or helpful reply as answer, so more people will benefit from here. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.