Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gpiero
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

How to merge two table with conditional statement based on values of both tablea

Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem in a Power BI report but it is likely bigger than my skills up to now.  

I have a list on Sharepoint like the pict below (I put only columns linked to my issues).

The yellow fields would be the solution I am looking for. 

Image1.PNG

The 2nd table below contains the time spent by each Contractor according to IDAnomaly Type.

Image2.PNG

Now I need to put in the table 1 each right value of the 2nd table when CreatedDate of each ID is >= StartPeriod and <=EndPeriod.

I have tried adding conditional column in Edit Query mode, but I was not able to find the right solution.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

Regards

If I can...
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gpiero

Try this one with Table 1

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcivKTEms1FFwLE0vLS5RMNZRMDIwtFDSUVIwVFCK1YlWCk9NyUstBqsJTi0oSc1NSi1SMMVQFpJRWgRR5Z9ckg9SY4RFUWkqqhpjA1Q1sQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CreatedDate = _t, IDAnomaly = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CreatedDate", type date}, {"IDAnomaly", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"IDAnomaly"},Table2,{"IDAnomaly"},"Table2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Custom", each let mytime=[CreatedDate] in
Table.SelectRows([Table2],each mytime>=[StartPeriod] and mytime<=[EndPeriod])),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"TimeContr1", "TimeContr2"}, {"TimeContr1", "TimeContr2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Table2"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

@Zubair_Muhammad

I am confirming it works.

This is what I am looking for.

Many thanks again

If I can...

@Zubair_Muhammad 

thank you very much, your help  is like a tresure.

It works,

Thanks againSmiley Happy

If I can...

9 REPLIES 9
Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @gpiero

Try this one with Table 1

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcivKTEms1FFwLE0vLS5RMNZRMDIwtFDSUVIwVFCK1YlWCk9NyUstBqsJTi0oSc1NSi1SMMVQFpJRWgRR5Z9ckg9SY4RFUWkqqhpjA1Q1sQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [CreatedDate = _t, IDAnomaly = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"CreatedDate", type date}, {"IDAnomaly", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type",{"IDAnomaly"},Table2,{"IDAnomaly"},"Table2",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Custom", each let mytime=[CreatedDate] in
Table.SelectRows([Table2],each mytime>=[StartPeriod] and mytime<=[EndPeriod])),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"TimeContr1", "TimeContr2"}, {"TimeContr1", "TimeContr2"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom",{"Table2"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Regards
Zubair

@gpiero

Please see sample file attached as well

You can follow the steps from Query Editor

Bascially you merge the 2 tables using anomaly column

then

Use Table.SelectRows to select the relevant row from Table 2

pqe.png

Regards
Zubair

@Zubair_Muhammad

thank you. I'll try to apply asap.

If I can...

@Zubair_Muhammad

I am confirming it works.

This is what I am looking for.

Many thanks again

If I can...

@Zubair_Muhammad

Hi,

sorry but something is wrong.

I am facing a data duplication

#"Merged Queries2" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Conditional Column",{"AnomalyReasonId"},IDReasonCycleTime,{"AnomalyReasonID"},"IDReasonCycleTime",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries2", "ContractorTime", each let mytime = [CreatedDate] in Table.SelectRows([IDReasonCycleTime],each mytime >=[StartPeriod] and mytime <= [EndPeriod])),

Did I put in a wrong way your code?

Regards

If I can...

@gpiero

Could you share your file or sample data for me to check?

Regards
Zubair

@Zubair_Muhammad 

Hi,

after several months I have been using your solution, I am facing a new case.

I tried several solution but nothing up to know

Here the problem

#"Added Conditional Column4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableTime", each let mydate = [ActGoodsMovDate], myhu = [HU Level] in Table.SelectRows([DLV_CycleTime], each mydate >= [StartingPeriod] and mydate <= [EndingPeriod])) and myhu = 1,

#"Added Conditional Column4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableTime", each let mydate = [ActGoodsMovDate], myhu = [HU Level] in Table.SelectRows([DLV_CycleTime], each mydate >= [StartingPeriod] and mydate <= [EndingPeriod])) and myhu = 1,

The code in bold is the new coding I am trying to add.

The follwing another test but no success.

#"Added Conditional Column4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableTime", each let mydate = [ActGoodsMovDate] and  myhu = [HU Level] in Table.SelectRows([DLV_CycleTime], each mydate >= [StartingPeriod] and mydate <= [EndingPeriod])) and myhu = 1,

Could you help me to find the solution?

Thank you in advance.

If I can...

@Zubair_Muhammad 

thank you very much, your help  is like a tresure.

It works,

Thanks againSmiley Happy

If I can...

@gpiero 

Could you be misplacing the brackets???

Also the variables in let expression need to be separated by comma

Try this one

#"Added Conditional Column4" = Table.AddColumn(#"Merged Queries", "TableTime", each let mydate = [ActGoodsMovDate], myhu = [HU Level] in Table.SelectRows([DLV_CycleTime], each mydate >= [StartingPeriod] and mydate <= [EndingPeriod] and myhu = 1 ))

Regards
Zubair

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.