Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Allen1314
Frequent Visitor

How to merge column header cells (like table colspan) in Power BI?

Hi, is it possible to show a table (maybe use "Matrix") like the following picture in Power BI? And how?
Allen1314_0-1651892950146.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jaipal ,

Based on my research and testing, currently the matrix does not support horizontal scrolling of the Rows fields.... Please review the workaround in the following thread, hope it can help you.

Matrix not allowing horizontal scroll in Power BI Desktop or Online (IE11, Chrome, etc.)

Hey - when you have enough row groups in a matrix so that they don't all fit in the viewport, the scroll bars are disabled. This is because scrolling normally only affects the values area of the matrix. If you've got lots of text data, try using a table instead? Hope that helps Will

This is not a perfect solution but a good work around 

You can increase the size of the sheet to include all the table . 

Bellow link explain how to do it 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-Reports-with-Vertical-Horizontal-scroll-bar-on-pages...

In addition, you can raise a new idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming soon. Or the following one is one similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas, you can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature.

Allow Matrix table to scroll horizontally for large number of rows

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jaipal
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Allen1314 it's obvious, if you have more fields in row level, you need to move the scroll bar to move lef and right to see the values. You have too much space between Custome, Date, Type and Method columns. To reduce the space, adjust the columns lenght and remove + , - icons. That will save a bit of space. 

jaipal_0-1652236704921.png

@jaipal 

my real case as follows, there have so many fields to be Rows, and it won't scroll left when scrolling, only the fields as columns (Qty/ Unit Cost/ Amount) can scroll left now
What I want is All fields scroll left togethor (even the fields selected as the Rows)20220518110210.png

@Allen1314 got you, in Matrix, the rows are constant. There is no feature you can move Rows. 

In this case you can download and use custom Matrix tables from more visuals.

Hi @jaipal ,

Based on my research and testing, currently the matrix does not support horizontal scrolling of the Rows fields.... Please review the workaround in the following thread, hope it can help you.

Matrix not allowing horizontal scroll in Power BI Desktop or Online (IE11, Chrome, etc.)

Hey - when you have enough row groups in a matrix so that they don't all fit in the viewport, the scroll bars are disabled. This is because scrolling normally only affects the values area of the matrix. If you've got lots of text data, try using a table instead? Hope that helps Will

This is not a perfect solution but a good work around 

You can increase the size of the sheet to include all the table . 

Bellow link explain how to do it 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Create-Reports-with-Vertical-Horizontal-scroll-bar-on-pages...

In addition, you can raise a new idea and add your comments there to make this feature coming soon. Or the following one is one similar idea shared on Power BI Ideas, you can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature.

Allow Matrix table to scroll horizontally for large number of rows

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jaipal
Resolver III
Resolver III

@Allen1314  yes it is possible with Matrix table. Drop Customer, Date, Tyoe and Method in Rows level.

Put remaining Columns in the column level. Trun Drill on in column level, click last button.

jaipal_0-1652065240970.png

You need to put Measurs on Values field.

Let me know if you still struck.

@jaipal thank you for your help, it works for me, but there have one more issue, the field selected as rows can't scroll left when there have too many fields exists, so if I have more fields needs to be selected as rows, it maybe occupy the whole width of the screen, then others values can't see any more, do you have any idea?

Allen1314_4-1652235489982.png

Allen1314_3-1652235444668.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.