Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jackofall
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to measure diff between previous month and this month?f For use in line / column chart

Part of the problem is that I use a Measure as Column value over the axis Period. I use a relative filter of the last 3 montshs.

Measure = DISTINCTCOUNT('Membership'[MembershipId])

The chart looks good enough.
Skärmklipp.PNG

So far I failed to get my differnces right. 49845 - 49607 and 49607 - 49483. I tried;

diff = sum('Table'[NoMemb])-CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[NoMemb]);PARALLELPERIOD(Date[Date];-1;month ))
NoMemb column contains the value 1 for counting instead of the measure.
My second try was...
diff2 =
;PREVIOUSMONTH(Date[Date]))
I fail epicly the figures are nowhere close to what I want.
8 REPLIES 8
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Jackofall,

You may add an additional filter in CALCULATE.

ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' )
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am not sure how to solve the problem with Allselected?

Skärmklipp.PNG

@Jackofall,

Just add two filters in CALCULATE.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I will go back and experiment with this. I got so irritated that I suggested that we make a separate table in the DB. What our customers think about is the number of x, y, z this month, previous month and any old comparison. I might as well make a corresponding table that keep track of this month and the figures up to 12 months back in time.

Still I will fool around with the filters for the principle of it.

OK, I think I am to stupid to grasp DAX. I simply can't stop thinking C# / T-SQL.

My measure No of members DISTINCTCOUNT(Membership[MemberIshipd])

My columns grouping is a string(PeriodMonth) to force my columns as I want.

Skärmklipp.PNG

Then I assume to calculate the difference between  201812(66509) - 201901(66752).
I use two tables Membership and Date. They are joined on PeriodMonth(string).

Then I experimented creating two measures;

201812 = calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Membership[MembershipId]);Membership[PeriodMonth]="201812")
201901 = calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Membership[MembershipId]);Membership[PeriodMonth]="201901")

The result in a Table really confused me. I would have expected the values to be 3 rows of (66752 | 66509)

Skärmklipp2.PNG

Then I filtered on PeriodMonth in the Date-Table.

201901 = calculate(DISTINCTCOUNT(Membership[MembershipId]);'Date'[PeriodMonth]="201901")

The reuslt of that behaved like I had hoped from the beginning.

Skärmklipp3.PNG

I just don't get how filtering on the same key in different tables get different results in my Tile. DAX gives me frustration on a whole new level.
In T-SQL or Excel I could have solved my problem within minutes.
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jackofall

Why are you using DISTINCTCOUNT('Membership'[MembershipId]) first and then SUM('Table'[NoMemb])?

Can you share the pbix? Usually with time intelligence functions it's difficult to see what the issue is without the model    

I did it because the first column is a measure and will not show up in sum('Table'[Col]). Since I work towards some databases I will be back ASAP a proper PBIX in this thread.

I created a sample of the pbix with vetted data but I cant add a file.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.