Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

miguel1206
Helper II
Helper II

How to mask a URL in PowerBI

Hi all,

I have a doubt about that, is possible set a mask to a URL in a report?

I have this URL in a card chart, it changes depending of some filters: 

download.PNG

Can I set the URL to something like this?

download2.PNG

And if I click the "Advanced" word opens the Dropbox URL

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@miguel1206 ,

I'm afraid currently there's no built-in chart have this kind of feature. You can create a custom chart with hyperlink event using some javascript code, please refer to document below:

https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-visuals/tutorials/building-bar-chart/adding-url-launcher-element...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is actually a way to do this.

In a table (data source), you must have these two fields: the url link and the name (aka alias) of what you want it to be displayed as.

In the table (visual), add the alias field as you want it to be displayed. Go to "Format Visual" under the Visualizations tab and scroll down to "Specific Column". Choose the alias column, making sure "Apply to values" is set to "ON". 

Scroll down a bit further to "Cell elements" and select the same column again. Go to "Web URL" and set that to "ON". Then, click on the "fx" button.

A new window pops up. Under "Format style" select "Field value" from the drop down and apply to either "Values only" or whatever applies to your case.

Under "What field should we base this on?", select the url field you had in your data source table. Set "Summarization" to "First", then click "OK".

Note: This can work with static/string fields as well as conditional formatted ones. For example, if you want the name displayed to change according to what the url says, or any other criteria, you can create the DAX function in the "Data" view, then apply the steps above to have url aliases that change dynamically. 

This works out! Very helpful!

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@miguel1206 ,

I'm afraid currently there's no built-in chart have this kind of feature. You can create a custom chart with hyperlink event using some javascript code, please refer to document below:

https://microsoft.github.io/PowerBI-visuals/tutorials/building-bar-chart/adding-url-launcher-element...

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.