Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aschrock

How to make x-axis in date order rather than based on value

Powerbi help.PNG

I need help to correct my x-axis from being based on line value rather than in date order. How do I change? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In the ellipsis in the top right corner of the chart you should be able to select the sort order. The issue may be that your x axis is not a date, but a surrogate date. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

In the ellipsis in the top right corner of the chart you should be able to select the sort order. The issue may be that your x axis is not a date, but a surrogate date. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi,

someone please help me to sort my x axis which has the values like

Jan 2018, Feb 2018, Mar 2018, Jan 2017, Feb 2017, Mar 2017, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Mar 2019

I want the values to be sorted with the same format.

Current sorting:

Jan 2017 Jan 2018 Jan 2019 Feb 2017 Feb 2018 Feb 2019

Expected Sorting: 

Jan 2017 Feb 2017 Mar 2017 Jan 2018 Feb  2018 Mar 2018 Jan 2019 Feb 2019 Mar 2019

FYI, currently I am having a calculated sorting field to get this done, but it is not working.. 

MonthSort = FORMAT(InforcePolicy[POLICY_EFFECTIVE_DATE],"YYYYmm")

from the ellipsis, I have choosed Sort by "CalendarMonth" (Ascending).. 

any input is much appreciated. 

Data Table & columns in it.

abcabc

The chart in the report looks like the below.

Inforce_IncorrectSorting_PBI.JPG

A better way I have found to do this is go back to the date before you formatted it and make it your axis. Delete Quarter and Day off your date hierachy. 

Then on the graphic is a couple arrows in the top corner, hit the fourth one over and click month! Then you can sort by date with these buckets intact!

It looks like this column you are sorting on is Text.  If you want it to sort in date order, you need to convert the column to a date fromat.

Hi @MattAllington

Thanks for your kind suggestion, Actually, I have got it done in the way I know.. (may be it is stupid.. )

from the Power Query window, I selected the "Calendar Month" column and make the column to get sorted by the "MonthSort" column. 

This approach worked for me.. just to share this, who knows, this may help someone else.. 

Once again, thans for your time and reply.. 

Hi, I am not able to set the order of sorting. The menu offers only Z-A sorting, but not the A-Z.

I am using the index (of the week) to create a column chart.
Please advise if it is possible to use custom values of axis for custom sorting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.