Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

prakash11440278
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to make relationship between two tables both having duplicate records

Hi All,

Can some body please explain how to make relationship between two tables, that two tables all contain duplicate records. Which it is not possible to relate due to duplicate records presents in both tables. Please explain how to relate the both tables in relationship tab.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @prakash11440278,

In order to create this visualisation now you should use the "customer" field from the new table you created.

Best,

Kris

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @prakash11440278,

In order to create your relationship you should first create a table that contains all the unique values from the columns that you wish to create the relationship on. I've assumed both tables have a column called Customer. Create a new Table using the measure

Customers = DISTINCT(UNION
     (SELECTCOLUMNS(Table1,"Customer",[Customer]),
     SELECTCOLUMNS(Table2,"Customer",[Customer])))

This measure will create a union of the 2 customer columns and then remove all duplicates leaving you with all your distinct customers. You can then create a relationship in the relationship window as follows

Capture33.PNG

Alternatively (this would be my prefered method), if you wished to do this in the query editor, you could append the 2 tables that you require to relate (as a new query) and keep only the column you wish to create a relationship on.  A quick removal of duplicates and you have your distinct customer table. You can then create the relationship as above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kris

Very helpful and clear!!

Alternatively (this would be my prefered method), if you wished to do this in the query editor, you could append the 2 tables that you require to relate (as a new query) and keep only the column you wish to create a relationship on.  A quick removal of duplicates and you have your distinct customer table. You can then create the relationship as above.

does not work i tried. 

Harsha

Hi kriscoupe,

Thanks for your reply.

I created new a table, as suggested below. Still the issue remains same. Please find the attached screen shot.

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @prakash11440278,

In order to create this visualisation now you should use the "customer" field from the new table you created.

Best,

Kris

Hi kriscoupe,

This worked. Thanks....:)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.