Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rohit403
Helper I
Helper I

How to make one slicer to filter another slicer

Hi, I need help with adding functionality to my report. On a report page, I have a Page-Level Filter (slicer) to select options A or B. Further, these A &B can be bifurcated as A-a, A-b, A-c & B-1, B-2, B-3. I want the subgroups to be reflected in a separate slicer, dependant on the selection done in the Page-Level Filter (slicer). Further, on the basis of the second slicer, I would be creating a Stack Chart. Please help me in figuring a way out. I am using an online database, with limited access to create any tables or relationships. Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

@rohit403 ,

Based on your scenario I have replicated your statement. So take one slicer for "Type" and other Slicer for "Sub Type".

1.JPG2.JPG

Don't forget to hit Thumbs up and accept this as a solution if you find it helpful! 

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Yes, that's right

@rohit403 ,

I have created sample like below:

Type Sub Type
A Aa
A Ab
B B1
B B2
A Ac
B B3

Then take two slicer one for Type and other for Sub type so you'll get the result which you want. (attched screen shot in my prevoius post).

Don't forget to hit Thumbs up and accept this as a solution if you find it helpful! 

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

@rohit403 ,

Please mark this as a solution if it helps you so other member can take help from this!😊

Hi Tahreem24,

Thanks for your advise.

However, as the Type as well as the Sub-type both are in the same table, under same column heading, so when I drag the column heading to the add-field of the slicer, the slicer shows both type and sub-types.

Unfortunately, I cant share a screenshot of the same as this is proprietary data. To further complicate things, the online database I am using  an online database which have restrictions with respect to creating any tables and relationships.

Thanks,

Hi,

You can try splitting the column into new columns, refer DAX functions for that. Once they are created you can add those columns to two separate filters which will fister type and subtype dynamically. Also, you can use a hierarchy slicer which makes filtering easy. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.