Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

powerbiasker
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to make data labels really outside end?

I create the following stacked bar chart (without adding Legend). I have made the position of Data Lables 'Outside end', but how to make the data labels really outside end (i.e. not interlace the end)?

8.PNG

12 REPLIES 12
VizzCrafter
Regular Visitor

I believe I've discovered a solution, specifically applicable to basic bar charts. Hope it helps.

1. Create a "Stacked bar chart" ; Note that the "Outside end" feature does not function flawlessly.

VizzCrafter_1-1709132661310.png

2. Create a measure with a value of zero.

VizzCrafter_0-1709132407563.png

3.  Place the new measure on the X-axis -> Turn On "Total labels" ->Turn Off "Data labels". Refer to the highlighted sections below.

VizzCrafter_2-1709132958120.png

MarceloCass
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem, it is very simple for PBI to implement something like adding some margin to the bar and label. Did you fix it?

MarceloCass_0-1695405314564.png

Noaru

You can increase space on the right by increase number of decimal places of your measure.

Noaru_1-1693819640759.pngNoaru_2-1693819661210.png

Noaru_3-1693819691257.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@VisheshRockStar this technique will only work if a number column is used on the x-axis. A good solution though but will not work in all cases. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

VisheshRockStar

Hi All,

You can fix this issue by creating the X axis maximum measure .This issue generally happens bz chart have lower magrin w.r.t the bars .
So create a measure which returns the max axis value and add some margin to it.
Ex- If  max age is 60 in the chart and it is overlapping it. you can do in similar way
       Measure= Max(Age)+5
Note-I have take 5 as a margin
And pull this measure in the X axis Maximum range.

Best Regard,

Vishesh

kayden
Frequent Visitor

I am facing the same issue and definitely this is something to do with the code inbuilt with powerBI, im quite shocked no one else has sounded this out given how old PowerBI is

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

There two quick option I can think of now are

1. Increase the size of the graph a bit

2. Fix the X-axis values.(Start and End)

@amitchandak  I can't use the X-axis values (Start and End) because the chart is dynamic according to the filters...

​Hi @powerbiasker,

Could you please try to complete the following steps(check below screenshot) to check if all data labels can display at the outside end?

1. Select the related stacked bar chart
  2. Navigate to “Format” pane, find X axis tab
  3. Set the proper value for “Start” and “End” textboxstacked bar chart issue.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yiruan-msft  thanks. but as mentioned, I can't use the X-axis values (Start and End) because the chart is dynamic according to the filters...

the values range could be from 1000 to 100M...

Hi @powerbiasker

I'm sorry I still not find other way to achieve your needs. If can change the display position of the data label to another position(like inside center)?

display position.JPG

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@powerbiasker I don;t think there is much available in this case. You can surely create matrix with databars and values in a seperate column. It can achieve what you are looking for.

May be add this as a suggestion on ideas forum.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.