Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

todea
Helper I
Helper I

How to make a visual queue in a PowerBI report to show which data source is in use e.g. DEV or PROD

Hi team,

We have 4 DW environments, Dev, Test, UAT & Prod and I have a Data Quality report and can change data source between the 4 environments to look for issues. Is there is a way to show on the report, which data source I have connected to without going to Data Source Settings? I would prefer an obvious visual indicator that would just parse the name of the data source to a powerbi visual. Alternately is there a way to use colours to demonstrate which data source a report is using e.g. a red banner for DEV, green for PROD etc.

With thanks,
Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @todea,

Power query not support to show the original database information.

For your scenario, I'd like to suggest you to modify your formula to use query parameter to get data. Then use these parameter to create a table to log the data source information.

For example: 

let
    Source = Sql.Databases(Server){[Name=Database]}[Data]
in
    Source

Notice: Server and Database are query parameters.

5.PNG

Sourceinfo Table:

let
    Source = #table( type table[ #"Server"=text, #"Database"=text ], {{Server,Database}})
in
    Source

6.PNG

Reference:

Working with Parameters and Functions in Power Query/Excel and Power BI

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @todea,

Power query not support to show the original database information.

For your scenario, I'd like to suggest you to modify your formula to use query parameter to get data. Then use these parameter to create a table to log the data source information.

For example: 

let
    Source = Sql.Databases(Server){[Name=Database]}[Data]
in
    Source

Notice: Server and Database are query parameters.

5.PNG

Sourceinfo Table:

let
    Source = #table( type table[ #"Server"=text, #"Database"=text ], {{Server,Database}})
in
    Source

6.PNG

Reference:

Working with Parameters and Functions in Power Query/Excel and Power BI

Deep Dive into Query Parameters and Power BI Templates

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft thanks very much for your advice and forgive my slow reply. It is beyond my ability so i will seek some help from a colleague. Many thanks for takign the time to respond, thanks so much Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.