Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

croberts21
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

How to make Table of fixed values

SUPERCEDED BY A NEW QUESTION. Please ignore this question.

I have Free PBI Desktop v2.102.845 (64 bit free version Feb 2022) on Windows 10. I use an ODBC driver to connect to a Postgresql database server.

I need to make a table of fixed values. The columns are: Payrollcode (a number) and ShortDesc (a short description of the payroll code which will be displayed to the user), LongDesc (a longer description). Some example values: 

1REGRegular time
2OTOvertime
3DBLDouble time

The database stores the codes, but I want my report to show the short description. I've been searching for videos on this and have not found one yet. Most videos are about creating a table with a calculated column. I don't want a calculated column, my columns will all be entered manually and will not change based on data in another table.

On the Data tab (far left) I have clicked New Table then entered this command:

#table(
//column headers
{"Payrollcode","ShortDesc","LongDesc"},
//row content
{
{"1","REG","Regular time"},
{"2","OT","Over time"},
{"3","DBL","Double time"}
}
)

But I get the error "To use special characters in a calculated table name, enclose the entire name in brackers ([]) and add a ] to any closing brackets in the name."

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think I found something. I found on the Viz tab (far left), Home tab bar, there is Enter Data. I will try that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Can you post a sample PBIX file or sample data?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

I think I found something. I found on the Viz tab (far left), Home tab bar, there is Enter Data. I will try that.

How do I post a PBIX file here? All forums are different and I don't see a way to attach a file to a reply.

You can upload it to a cloud service (OneDrive, Google Drive, Icloud...) and share the download link to file from there

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.