Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

admin11
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

How to make PBI file size reduce by 50% ?

Hi All

I have create a very small sample file , which table only few line . but the file size is big , it there a way make the file size smaller by 50% ? i mean now the file size 1.3 mb , how to make it only 0.6mb ?

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@admin11 

Please look for and remove columns that have lots of text in them.

Notes fields are a big killer of performance and increases in pbix file size.

Remove columns that are not useful for reporting and analysis.

For more information, you can refer to this : https://www.fourmoo.com/2019/11/27/how-i-saved-40-on-my-power-bi-dataset-size/

You can also follow this article if you needhttps://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-performance-tips-and-techniques 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,@admin11 

Please look for and remove columns that have lots of text in them.

Notes fields are a big killer of performance and increases in pbix file size.

Remove columns that are not useful for reporting and analysis.

For more information, you can refer to this : https://www.fourmoo.com/2019/11/27/how-i-saved-40-on-my-power-bi-dataset-size/

You can also follow this article if you needhttps://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-performance-tips-and-techniques 

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Caitlyn Yan

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Caitlyn

Thank you for sharing. 

Paul

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@admin11 with these basic steps you can really improve your model, what my fellow friends said is the key:

- remove extra columns (columns not required, already mentioned by other fellas)

on top of it:

- make sure auto date/time is turned off, which you can do in options. This means you should have a date dimension in your model for all time intelligence calculations. I saw with this turned off, your model size can go down by 50%-75%, depending on how many date columns are in your model.

Once above steps are taken, keep data model and report authoring as separate things, means, publish the report without any visualization.

And for visualization, create a report using the Power BI dataset, and create all your visuals. This file will be very very small because it doesn't have any data, just metadata for visuals. There are a lot more benefits of this approach but this makes visualization files super small and easy to work with.

I hope it helps.

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @admin11 Paul,

to add on what's been said by @mahoneypat and you want to keep all the data in your file and aiming on sending it then you need to create a template PIBX file.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hi AJ

Create a Template in my undertanding , are you refer to below ?

admin11_0-1611195698708.png

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

To reduce file size, you need to remove data you don't need, loading fewer rows or removing columns you don't need.  Remove any high granularity columns (lots of distinct values), as those take up the most space.  You can use a tool like DAX Studio to see what is taking up space in your model.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.