Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to lock filters so that end users cannot change them?

I have a report with filters and I want the end users to not be able to change them. I read that this was added to the November release but I am not able to figure out where the feature is. Does anybody know?

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous

Turn on the new filter experience

You enable the new experience in Power BI Desktop. Then you can modify filters there or in the Power BI service (https://app.powerbi.com). Because this new filter experience is in Preview, you must first enable it in Power BI Desktop.

and this is for visual level filter/ page level filter/ report level filter

here is the official documentation for you refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-report-filter-preview

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous

My understanding from your posted question is that you are sharing a power bi report with a user via power bi service and you want to keep the filters fixed. So the users cannot change the filters.

This seems to be a concern which we can handle with security roles. You can add the filters to a security role, then add the specific user to the security role in power bi service.

Security filtersSecurity filters

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

You can do the following for Persistent filters:

gear.pngThen turn off the filter and saveThen turn off the filter and save

You can achieve the above via PBI Desktop as well:

PBI DesktopPBI Desktop

Lastly, if you are talking about the new filter pane option wherein page level filters can be set and not played with, you will have to turn on this preview feature first and the filter pane has the icons for the option of hiding the filter, locking the selected option which you can use.

Lock, hide filter optionsLock, hide filter options

Thank You

The new filter experience seems to have a bug. If you edit any published reports in power bi, it will break any hidden/locked filters. I'm having to download my templates and re-publish to re-enforce the filter locking. Any ideas on how to fix this?

@wgn6011  I am having the same problem:

In Power BI desktop, "Filters on this Visual" are inexplicably lost on some of my visuals, but not all, when I publish to Power BI cloud. I am finding this to be especially true with the Sparkline by OKViz custom visual.

However, the filters show up correctly in Microsoft Teams.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recall if that feature is covered specifically, but I would recommend checking out this video. It covers the latest updates in detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xsXXoyTxfk

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.