Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kiril
Frequent Visitor

How to load only required columns

Dear community,

we are building dashboards using CDS and Dynamics as data sources. We load tables like accounts, contacts, activitypointers and activityparties. Those tables have a large amount of columns, which I want to decrease.

Our current approach is to "select columns", which adds a step in which only relevant columns are selected. This however feels "wrong", because all the columns are loaded in the previous step. I don't want to load all this data, just to remove it.

How can I load only relevant columns into Power BI Desktop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you. Unfortunately, SQL server is not an option for us.

However, the following approach solved my problem:

1. Create a new query
  2. Define the OData query as needed, instead of navigating from the top of the orgnisation:

= OData.Feed("https://org.api.crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v9.1/accounts?$select=accountid,name", null, [Implementation="2.0"])

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good

Can you explain the solution in more detail?

I have tried to implement it and it has been impossible for me to do so...

Greetings

jurriejoachim
Frequent Visitor

Just:

Choose Columns Trick In Power Query

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mNDh4KFz60

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kiril ,

Currently power bi doesn't support importing specific columns into power bi desktop when connnecting to CDS and Dynamics. However, you can first import these columns into database(e.g.: sql server) and then use sql query to import specific columns into power bi.

8.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you. Unfortunately, SQL server is not an option for us.

However, the following approach solved my problem:

1. Create a new query
  2. Define the OData query as needed, instead of navigating from the top of the orgnisation:

= OData.Feed("https://org.api.crm.dynamics.com/api/data/v9.1/accounts?$select=accountid,name", null, [Implementation="2.0"])

Not Working. It is filtered perticular column but other column is also coming with error

Hi @kiril ,

Great! Thank you for letting me learn new knowledge.

Please accept your own reply as the solution. More people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Let us check with Imkef

@ImkeF , is there any better way in power query for that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.