Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

harsh
Helper I
Helper I

How to load csv file from Sharepoint folder ?

Hello all,

I 'm new to Power BI, I need to upload data from csv file located in sharepoint folder.

This is the complete connection(not posting exact link) however it says invalid url(coz of .aspx inside it), please provide url root

https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/CECRMSP/**************************/Forms/AllItems.aspx?id=%2Fteams%2FCECRMSP%2FShared%20with%20Microsoft%2FTraining%20Items

I tried this one "https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/CECRMSP" it works however my folder and csv are located inside the sub folders how to get there ?

Please share how to do connections for sharepoint.

And my second question is if I upload new csv file in that location how it will get refreshed please guide me step by step

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @harsh,

I 'm not looking to get the name of the document names in tables as in your case, I 'm trying to open csv file to load data into the tables 

Indeed, I knew exactly what your requirement is. I posted those photos above just wanted to let you know that I can load all files(including all files within sub folders) using the root URL like yours.Smiley Happy We can then load data from csv file into tables in Query Editor. Following is the table I got from my "2016-02-05 Feb.csv" file on SharePoint.

csv.PNG

Here is an article about how to loading Excel/CSV Files from Sharepoint in Power BI Desktop for your reference.

Regards

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @harsh,

I tried this one "https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/teams/CECRMSP" it works however my folder and csv are located inside the sub folders how to get there ?

Are you not able to load any files from sub folders when using the root URL mentioned above? I have tested it on my side. I can load all files(including all files within sub folders) using the root URL like yours. 

subfolders.PNGfiles.PNG

In addition, following is another solution that using the Web connector mentioned here. Please go and check if it works.

1. Click Get Data-> Web
  2. Provide the full path to your Excel file on SharePoint
  3. Select authentication as Organisation and enter your O365 user id/password if needed
  4. You should then see a dialog box where you pick the tables you want to pull in

Regards

Hi JerryLi,

I 'm not looking to get the name of the document names in tables as in your case, I 'm trying to open csv file to load data into the tables however I 'm not able to do that since its not able to link the document which I have already mentioned in my question and the other link you gave using web it does not work too, you can check the comments from other people saying "invalid link" and so on same error I 'm getting even after signing correctly to my organisational account.

Hi @harsh,

I 'm not looking to get the name of the document names in tables as in your case, I 'm trying to open csv file to load data into the tables 

Indeed, I knew exactly what your requirement is. I posted those photos above just wanted to let you know that I can load all files(including all files within sub folders) using the root URL like yours.Smiley Happy We can then load data from csv file into tables in Query Editor. Following is the table I got from my "2016-02-05 Feb.csv" file on SharePoint.

csv.PNG

Here is an article about how to loading Excel/CSV Files from Sharepoint in Power BI Desktop for your reference.

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Sorry for replying late, I was on vacation.

Thanks for helping, I followed the steps and it worked for .csv file, is it possible to schedule a refresh ? I was trying to schedule however it gives below error, even thought the credentials are correct. I guess we don't need to install gateway as it is sharepoint site. It would be great if you help me on this.

Your data source can't be refreshed because the credentials are invalid. Please update your credentials and try again.

Activity ID:2a7aa914-b1d4-4027-8744-b3aaae38b008
Request ID:a97ef2fc-75f9-8709-2748-b932ed665dcd
Status code:200
Time:Wed Nov 09 2016 13:47:18 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Version:13.0.1700.581

Hi @harsh,

Yes, we can schedule a refresh for SharePoint Folder without installing the Gateway. I'm doing this currently and it works all fine for me.

Is it possible you are using different authentication methods for SharePoint credentials on Power BI Desktop and Power BI Service which may cause this issue. Please go and check if it is the case.Smiley Happy

desktop.PNGsevice.PNG

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

I have "undefined" as 3rd authentication mode instead of OAuth2 ?

Hi @harsh,

That's a little weird. I have never seen this before. I'm not familiar with the authentication mechanism of SharePoint. Is it possible for you to use Window authentication for SharePoint Folder on both Power BI Desktop and the service in this scenario?

Regards

Yeah thats strange, could you please let me know how to make windows authentication in Power bi desktop ?

Hi @harsh,

I just tested it on my side, and I wasn't able to using windows authentication with my SharePoint account in Power BI Desktop either. As I'm not familiar with the authentication mechanism of SharePoint, I would suggest you also go to SharePoint forums for better assistance.Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you trying to use the SharePoint connector or the CSV file connector?  Should use a CSV connector and easiest way to get link is to navigate to the document in question in SharePoint in a browser, right click and say "Get a link". It should end up looking something like:

https://tenant.sharepoint.com/Documents/Photos/Clippers%20Game%20081616/IMG_20160816_201217206.jpg

This is a link to a document buried 2 folders deep.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Smoupre,

Thanks for your reply, its working Power BI online, however I was trying using Power Bi desktop and I selected csv connector didn't work, not sure whether its supported on not.

This is the complete link of my csv file:

https://microsoft.sharepoint.com/***************/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=Muclyy1iAqyveLeef8aahna6iEkuou43f6SmVkE8e8k%3d&docid=2_15e88281ae5004bad849a3e5bede2a91e&rev=1

It seems it reads till guestaccess.aspx rest it avoids.

The below figure shows some unwanter document showing.

Untitled.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.