Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to label the date/time on X axis of a montly max value v2

Hi all,

I am attempting to build a bar chart in Power BI that shows the max hourly value of every month. I had created a topic earlier; but it was 'solved' by an admin before i could attempt to try it myself: Link to previous post 

What i have right now in Power BI is this:

Capture.PNG

How do i convert the X axis to Date & time for every month? For example: Jan 29, 6:00AM; Feb 28th, 5:00AM, etc? Here is my Power BI excel raw data:

Capture v2.PNG

I like the format of the "date/time" column for the x axis. "Total Rolling MWs" is the column where i am pulling the max monthly value from.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to share the soluntion with much thanks to parry2k's insight:

Firstly a measure is created to calc the monthly MW value:

Maximum MWs =
MAXX(
VALUES ( 'Calendar'[Month] ),
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Rolling Load'[Total Rolling MWs] )
)

A second measure to calc the max in a monthly timeframe:
Max Date/Time =
VAR __maxMWs = [Maximum MWs]
RETURN
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Rolling Load'[Date/Time] ),
'Rolling Load'[Total Rolling MWs] = __maxMWs
)
)

Thanks Parry2k!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TCarrasquillo
Helper II
Helper II

Have you tried just pulling your Date/Time column into the axis under the month and using the expand down option?

Capture1.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I think your graph looks very similar to my graph posted in the OP. What i need is something more like this:

Capture v3.PNG

A graph showing the max hourly value on a per month basis. Thanks for the tip though 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still stuck on this.... 😞

@Anonymous I guess not any more 😁

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you share the sample pbix file to get you the solution. Remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to share the soluntion with much thanks to parry2k's insight:

Firstly a measure is created to calc the monthly MW value:

Maximum MWs =
MAXX(
VALUES ( 'Calendar'[Month] ),
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Rolling Load'[Total Rolling MWs] )
)

A second measure to calc the max in a monthly timeframe:
Max Date/Time =
VAR __maxMWs = [Maximum MWs]
RETURN
CALCULATE (
MAX ( 'Rolling Load'[Date/Time] ),
'Rolling Load'[Total Rolling MWs] = __maxMWs
)
)

Thanks Parry2k!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am unable to publish the Pbix file via dropbox nor OneDrive as my organization has the "anyone can see link" greyed out. If you are willing to recreate a 2-3 month period with random total values, that would work for me? Thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.