Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abhi87
Helper I
Helper I

How to keep card visualization blank when report is opened

Hello,

I was wondering how to keep the card visualization blank when the Power BI dashboard is opened, I'm working with sesentive data so I don't want the information to show unless it's asked for.

So, I have a table with crashkey number and other attributes, and I have another table with the same crashkey numbers and narrative for each crashkey. If someone clicks on a crashkey, I want the corresponding narrative to come up in the card visualization, I have already linked the tables and everything is set up. When I click on a crashkey the specific narrative comes up, but by default the visualization is pre-pollutated with couple narratives when the dashboard is open, which I don't want. I was wondering if there is any way for me to keep the visualization blank until I pick a crashkey or if there is any other visualization I can use to achieve this.

Sorry if the question is confusing to understand, it's my first time posting on the forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 if it is a measure you have to use aggregation, change it to something like this

Measure = IF (HASONEVALUE(CRASH_LEVEL[CRASH_KEY]), MAX(CombinedNarratives[CombinedNarrative]))

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 with custom message:

Measure = IF (HASONEVALUE(CRASH_LEVEL[CRASH_KEY]), MAX(CombinedNarratives[CombinedNarrative]),
"Select a data point" )

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 because you are not using the measure in the card visual and I asked this previously, and you said "yes" which is not the case when I saw your file, and that's why you are seeing the value.

We are going in circles for no reason.

Follow us on LinkedIn

@parry2k yes, I realized that. I interpreted the question differently but understood it now. Thank you so much for the help. I have one other follow up question, is there a way to replace that "(blank)" with a custom message?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 i think it is working as expected, not sure what you are expecting, when I opened the file it is blank and when I'm selecting a data point it is giving the message, what you are looking for? if this is not what you want, then explain it further.

test.gif

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 did you used that measure in the card visual? Share the sample pbix file using one drive/google drive, remove sensitive information before sharing. Not sure why it is not working.

@parry2k thank you it works now. I realized that I didn't use the measure in the card visual

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 if it is a measure you have to use aggregation, change it to something like this

Measure = IF (HASONEVALUE(CRASH_LEVEL[CRASH_KEY]), MAX(CombinedNarratives[CombinedNarrative]))

Follow us on LinkedIn

@parry2k It seems like the measure didn't do anything, the card visual is still pre-pollutated when no crashkey is selected/when the dashboard is opened

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@abhi87 you can check if a crashkey is selected then only show the value, add a measure something like this that you can use in card visual

Measure =
IF ( HASONEVALUE ( YourTable[CrashKey] ), [Whatever you want to show on CARD VISUAL] )

Follow us on LinkedIn

@parry2k When I type up the measure function I'm getting a error saying, "A single value for column 'CombinedNarrative' in table 'CombinedNarratives' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result." The narrative I have in my data is a text value.

This is the measure function I used

Measure = IF (HASONEVALUE(CRASH_LEVEL[CRASH_KEY]), (CombinedNarratives[CombinedNarrative]))

So, the two tables I have are CRASH_LEVEL and CombinedNarratives, I have linked the CRASH_KEY between the two tables.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.