Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

How to keep a Parameter from being seen in 'Transform Data >> Edit Parameters'

Not sure this is a Power Query topic or Desktop, because it spans both.

I have a model with three Folder sources and many others. For each Folder source, you get a Parameter. That's just the way the wizard does it. But I also have several other parameters. When I click Transform Data >> Edit Parameters, I see *all* parameters. I would like to stop the three that are related to the Folder sources from showing up. Is this possible? I have looked through the M code for the Folder source and not sure there is a way to hack through it so that the related parameter is not needed.

Does anyone know a Power Query M hack so that the parameter is not needed?

Back story: This model will not get deployed to the service. It is being shared amoung users as sort of a 'black box' for data validation. It replaces a very manual Excel process that involved Pivot tables, Copy, Paste, 12 extra tabs and soem other steps I can't recall. Now I simply have several input data sources, with one of them being the piece of data I want to 'process and validate'. I do that with relationships, calculated columns and measures. In the end, the users do a few exports to CSV of scrubbed data. It saves on average a few hours per input file.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Not aware of a way to do that but another option to consider is to create a source file that contains 3 rows for your folder sources, and make it so users have read only access to that source.  You can then bring in that in a query, disable load, but use each row with {0}[ColumnName] to harvest those values instead of using parameters.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.