Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

euthor
Frequent Visitor

How to keep Dashboard & Graphs using new type of Excel Dataset

Hi all,

here are a couple of questions about changing data source but keeping the PBIX report as it was structured before:

1. Is it possible to keep all the graphs etc. which I previously created for a PBIX Report after changing the Excel Dataset (elimnate/delete the old uploaded files and then upload a new set of workbook as the source of data for the PBIX Report)?
  2. If I erase some columns and then add some new ones to the old dataset and then refresh PBIX will the graphs etc. still be there?

thanks to anyone who will answer to my questions! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Arentir
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hey @euthor,

1. Depends what you mean by "while".  If you are working on an excel file, doing some changes, and you haven't save it, then Power BI will not catch the on going changes, but you are no locking the file by working on it. 

2. It may work seamlessly or break you report... most likely break you report 🙂

If you delete a column and replace by a new one, but has the same name, it is likely not to break you report

If you add a brand new column, Power BI will probably pick up the new column and nothing will change for your report

If you have new column name then I bet your load will break, you will have to adjust the edit query part. and if the column was supposed to be used in your chart, you will have to update that too.

All in all, your visuals will STILL be there, but they are going to return an error until you have updated the load/fields.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Arentir
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hey @euthor,

1. Depends what you mean by "while".  If you are working on an excel file, doing some changes, and you haven't save it, then Power BI will not catch the on going changes, but you are no locking the file by working on it. 

2. It may work seamlessly or break you report... most likely break you report 🙂

If you delete a column and replace by a new one, but has the same name, it is likely not to break you report

If you add a brand new column, Power BI will probably pick up the new column and nothing will change for your report

If you have new column name then I bet your load will break, you will have to adjust the edit query part. and if the column was supposed to be used in your chart, you will have to update that too.

All in all, your visuals will STILL be there, but they are going to return an error until you have updated the load/fields.

Hi Arentir,

I think I expressed myself in a very bad way so I am editing my first message! Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.