Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andres6and8
Frequent Visitor

How to implement basic row level security to filter an employee's statistics?

Hello. I have a reasonably straightforward project/goal/task:

I have a table set up in PowerBI Desktop that looks like so:

example_chart.PNG

I'd like to publish and embed it onto my company website, which is no problem. However, I'd like to set the visual embedding up so that whichever employee logs onto the company website (via Windows login credentials), they'd only be able to see their row. For example, Lady Gaga Lay D. Gagah would only see this upon logging into the website:

example_chart_2.PNG

To do this, I know I have to use the "Row Level Security (RLS)" feature. The problem is that I have no idea how to begin- most of the resources online only discuss more advanced/technical operations. I tried setting up a rule in the RLS tab, but I could only do it for individual employees by specifying the DAX code to say: 

'Table1'[Employee Name] = "Value"

Obviously, this solution wouldn't be feasible for a company of roughly 3,000 employees.

Could someone help me set this up? I have access to PowerBI Pro, Server, and Desktop. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I think you are referring to publish to web, not embed (although technically you ARE embedding a visual into a web page).  Power BI Embedded is used to embed into applications.  Publish to web has no security capabilities built into it, so you will not be able to implement RLS.  RLS is supported within the service though, so if the consumers of content have Pro licenses (or the org has the new Premium sku), you could potentially implement RLS and map the user names/login to their user principal name which will allow them to only view the relevant content when they log into app.powerbi.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FYI using PBI embedded for internal users is forbidden unless all users in the org have a pro license.  With the new Premium sku announced this week, you may wish to speak with your IT dept. about this option to have org-wide consumers of content with only a few Pro users (like yourself).

When you say you have access to PBI Server, are you referrering to the new PBI Reporting Server for on prem publishing?

Hello dkay84_PowerBI, 

I've already implemented a different chart in PowerBI and embedded the chart onto the company's website. Currently, everyone can view that chart- all I'd like to do is embed another one on a different page within the website, and have the user only see their entry.

By "PowerBI Server," I meant to refer to app.powerbi.com, the webpage that I'm taken to when I click "publish" in PowerBI Desktop. From there I schedule (up to 8 times per day) a data refresh, which is then reflected in the report on the company website. My apologies if I've messed up the nomenclature. 

I think you are referring to publish to web, not embed (although technically you ARE embedding a visual into a web page).  Power BI Embedded is used to embed into applications.  Publish to web has no security capabilities built into it, so you will not be able to implement RLS.  RLS is supported within the service though, so if the consumers of content have Pro licenses (or the org has the new Premium sku), you could potentially implement RLS and map the user names/login to their user principal name which will allow them to only view the relevant content when they log into app.powerbi.com

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.