Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

semidevil
Helper I
Helper I

How to hide a visual based on slicer

I have 2 independent line charts that I need to place in my powerBi page.  However,  at any point in time, only 1 chart is applicable.  Is there a way for me to have a slicer that will let me only display only 1 chart at a time.  (i,e  when one chart is selected, the other one will be hidden, white out, etc), just as long as I don have to see both charts at the same time. 

15 REPLIES 15
Shailan17

Same here, how do you hide visuals based on response count less than 10? Or any other count measure?
yerdaman
Advocate I
Advocate I

I too have a requirement to hide visuals based on a slicer.

e.g. If the available measures from primary slicer are, say 'Time' or 'Throughput', one of the secondary slicers becomes non-applicable

Secondary Slicer #1:  'Hours' or 'Minutes'

Secondary Slicer #2: 'Linear Metres' or 'Square Metres'

I acknwowledge (and have used) bookmarking techniques based on buttons as these object have the 'Action' attribute. However, my requirement, if possible, is based solely on the slicer selection.

Any feedback most appreciated.

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same need. I know how to toggle charts/pages from a button using a bookmark but I want the chart visibility to be toggled according to the slicer selection.

Can anyone help me in this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Team,

You can achieve this in bringing Bookmarks and Selection Pane into your report. You can hide your visuals based on the selection of your toggle button.

Regards,

Pradeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I have already achieved this by using the same Bookmarks and Sselection Pane, but my requirement is to show/hide reports based on the value of slicer.

Is there any option by which we can define the event action based on slicer value in which we can call Bookmarks ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, of Course.

There is an action to set it for toggle image or button to switch your report view. 

Say example, you have two bookmarks that shows different views of your report. You can have images like toggle button to swap the views on top your two different bookmarks. You can set the action property for the toggle images when you select one image, you can hide the other one. You can play around with this by setting this action property.

Regards,

Pradeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you can view this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Afcj8mT5_Q

Regards,

Pradeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

My need is the same as the original poster.

I have seen this video, it is very helpful and I have made the toggle button. But what I really want is the charts to change visibility, not when the user clicks the button, but when the user changes a value of a slicer.

Is there a way to change the visibility of a chart based on a slicer value? (not by clicking a button)

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chrisdorrian,

Got your point now. There is no such properties to set it up the views of your report. 

We have action property only for images and buttons and not for the values from the slicers.

If your slicer has only minimum values say 2 to 5, then you can assign these values statically for buttons or images and play around with this.

If you have more than 5 values and its changing oftenly, then there is no way to get this implementation.

Regards,

Pradeep

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Chrisdorrian,

Got your point now. There is no such properties to set it up the views of your report. 

We have action property only for images and buttons and not for the values from the slicers.

If your slicer has only minimum values say 2 to 5, then you can assign these values statically for buttons or images and play around with this.

If you have more than 5 values and its changing oftenly, then there is no way to get this implementation.

Regards,

Pradeep

Pradeep, you describe exactly what I need to do: "If your slicer has only minimum values say 2 to 5, then you can assign these values statically for buttons or images and play around with this."

In my case, I have a user table, and we have a column which identifies each user as either "standard" or "premium". We then have a button which they can click. If they're premium, it takes them to another page with some visuals. If they're standard, it displays a message on the button (or could take them to another page) which says "this feature isn't available to standard users".

So basically I only have two values to deal with (standard or premium) which control which of those buttons (and thus actions) are visible and available to the user.  So the last piece I'm trying to figure out is "then you can assign these values statically for buttons"

Can you please explain how I assign those values to buttons?  I don't see an option to do that, the button is just tied to a bookmark, I can't figure out how to get the data involved. Basically the user should pick a value from the user_id slicer, that will tell power BI whether they're standard or premium, and from there it should know which button to display. Is this possible?

thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have this same need. I know how to toggle charts from a button using a bookmark (like in the youtube video) but what I really want is for the chart visibility to be toggled according to the slicer selection.

Anyone know of a way to do that?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @semidevil,

Could you please provide some sample data?

I actually dont see an 'attach' button but i'll describe the best I can. 

suppose I have 2 line charts:  one for V1 and one for V2.  I want to overlay them right on top of eachother.  I also have a main slicer.  If I filter for V1,  I want to see only my V1 line chart, and my V2 line chart should not be visible.  If I filter for V2, V1 chart should not be visible.

Hi @semidevil,

To make a toggle visual, you can simply try Bookmark option. Please refer to following link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Afcj8mT5_Q

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the Video. Seems like Mobile view does not support images. 

SO i did this with using avaible Buttons in Power BI. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.