Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

D_PBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to have a Tooltip show a full list of values based on the Matrix column header hovered over?

Hi,
I have a Matrix visual that show Subjects on the rows and People on the columns. There is a Chiclet slicer visual that filters the Matrix. All is working as it should be at this point.
I would like to create Tooltip so when the user hovers over a cell value (regardless which row/column intersect cell) a Tooltip appears showing all Subjects (ignoring the Matrix's row context and the Chiclet slicer filtering) for the Person in which the column hovering is taking place.
For example, take a look at the below visual
matrix.PNG

If the user was to hover over any cell under the 'Super Ted' user column, a Tooltip (containing a Table visual) would appear listing all lowest level values (in the visual above the lowest level (level 4) of the hierarchy is expanded for 'Enterpreneurial experience'). So the Tooltip would show a long list of lowest hierarchy level values, however many values the person has a 1 for, which is not filtered by the Chiclet slicer or the Matrix's row context.

I've tried a few different DAX measures so far, none have worked. Below is my latest effort. The is a relationship (1 to * ) between the Checklist and the Mentor tables. The Chiclet slicer values are tied to the Checklist table's Level 2 hierarchy. In the Matrix itself is the Checklist table's Level 3 values, which in turn can be expanded to the Level 4 values.

Mentor Checklist =
CALCULATE (
    CONCATENATEX ( Checklist, VALUES ( Checklist[Level 4] ), " " ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Mentor, Mentor[Mentor Name] )
)

Please can someone inform me if what I am trying to do can be done?
Then how to write the DAX Measure to achieve it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@dax - Zoe, thanks for your response.
I've managed to solve this myself by creating the following measure, that is embedded into the Tooltip visual.

__Tooltip =
CALCULATE(
     CONCATENATEX(
                                 Checklist,
                                 Checklist[Level 4],
                                 " "
                                 ),
     ALL( Checklist )
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PtoLtoC
Frequent Visitor

Hi @D_PBI ,
Interesting workaround, do you have any idea on how to display all level 4 by row instead of a concatenate cell?
Best

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @D_PBI , 

I am not clear about your requirement, could you please explain "If the user was to hover over any cell under the 'Super Ted' user column, a Tooltip (containing a Table visual) would appear listing all lowest level values (in the visual above the lowest level (level 4) of the hierarchy is expanded for 'Enterpreneurial experience'). " to me in details? 

If you don't want context or slicer to affect the tootips, you could try to disable "keep all filters" in Tooltip page, Then show value in details not summarize data in tooltip.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@dax - Zoe, thanks for your response.
I've managed to solve this myself by creating the following measure, that is embedded into the Tooltip visual.

__Tooltip =
CALCULATE(
     CONCATENATEX(
                                 Checklist,
                                 Checklist[Level 4],
                                 " "
                                 ),
     ALL( Checklist )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.