cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to have Power BI show no data by default on loading of report. Only till they choose a slicer

Currently, default behavior is that all the data loads on the report. When they choose a slicer, the data is then filtered.

Is there a trick where when it first loads, the report is blank till they choose something from the slicer.

Thank you,

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: How to have Power BI show no data by default on loading of report. Only till they choose a slice

Hi @ap,

We are unable to achieve it on Power BI desktop. The slicer is used to filter the corresponding rows. If the report is blank first, how to filter it. Please under slicers completely.

Thanks,
Angelia

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: How to have Power BI show no data by default on loading of report. Only till they choose a slice

hi @ap May I ask what are you trying to achieve by doing this? 

If this is a matter of data security, I would suggest you use Raw Level Security option...

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

agreed with @majdkaid22,  @ap other option is create blank value and the your slicer was clicked to this blank data as a default.. but not a good practice.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

sure, this is the compromise with the free version that I have say a dataset of North America, and we have assigned users to those regions. However, we have no problem that they can switch through different regions but the concern is if they deselect and have nothing picked in the slicer, the tiles will show the aggregate of North America. THat is a concern that they can see the entire organization.

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @ap,

The slicer effect the whole report, rather than part of it. Raw Level Security option is used to different people can view different part of the dashbord. Please review this article and understand it clearly.

Thanks.
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors