Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ap
Advocate I
Advocate I

How to have Power BI show no data by default on loading of report. Only till they choose a slicer

Currently, default behavior is that all the data loads on the report. When they choose a slicer, the data is then filtered.

Is there a trick where when it first loads, the report is blank till they choose something from the slicer.

Thank you,

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for replying to this old topic. I came across this topic while searching for something else, but I thought I would answer it eventhough it is old, so that future visitors of this question will find the/a solution instead of leaving it with the message that it cannot be done.

Yes, there definitely is a way.

1. If you add a fake value "Make required selection" in Power Query (or your datasource) for the field that you NEED to have selected before anything shows
2. Select that fake value in the slicer by default in your report
3. Then remove that value from the field in Power Query (or your datasource)

If you now upload your report to the service, the slicer will keep the (non existent) value as the current selection for the slicer. As a result it will find no data matching your current filters, resulting in your report being empty.

bearpoz79
Helper I
Helper I

I agree this would be a nice option.  We have a rather large data set being pulled into our BI report and there will be many end users going to it for data extraction.  As the developer i'm not sure what default values to show.  I prefer it to show nothing until the users make slicer selections.  I did not find a solution on this thread. 

rommel20
Resolver I
Resolver I

agreed with @majdkaid22,  @ap other option is create blank value and the your slicer was clicked to this blank data as a default.. but not a good practice.

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

hi @ap May I ask what are you trying to achieve by doing this? 

If this is a matter of data security, I would suggest you use Raw Level Security option...

sure, this is the compromise with the free version that I have say a dataset of North America, and we have assigned users to those regions. However, we have no problem that they can switch through different regions but the concern is if they deselect and have nothing picked in the slicer, the tiles will show the aggregate of North America. THat is a concern that they can see the entire organization.

Hi @ap,

The slicer effect the whole report, rather than part of it. Raw Level Security option is used to different people can view different part of the dashbord. Please review this article and understand it clearly.

Thanks.
Angelia

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ap,

We are unable to achieve it on Power BI desktop. The slicer is used to filter the corresponding rows. If the report is blank first, how to filter it. Please under slicers completely.

Thanks,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.