Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to group fields

Hi there, 

I have a dataset with Open End answers that have been codified the codes translate into fields in power BI, but I would like to have a drop-down list in the dashboard with all the codes to be able to select and filter per code. 

Is that possible? 

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Thanks, 

Sara

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @Anonymous

After my research, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that have a slicer with three columns as you want on your original data structure in Power BI for now. You may try to use three slicers like this:

1.JPG

Also, if you want them in one slicer, you may try to use this way:

In Edit Queries, select accessibility, booking, experience then click Transform-> Unpivot columns

2.JPG

3.JPG

then drag field Attribute and Values into slicer like this 

4.JPG

By the way, This method will turn your this data table three times as large.

and here is demo pbix, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Anuja_Chaudhari_0-1706878576893.png

Anuja_Chaudhari_1-1706878627055.png

Hope this find you helpfull

affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Yes, this seems to be very mych possible.

Please share a sample of your data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

See my updated post 😉

I am not sure how simple it would seem but you can just add a slicer visual and add the code field to it

Anonymous
Not applicable

A slicer visual is only showing the option of data for each of the fields (positive / negative / neutral). However, what I need is a slicer visual that has the codes: accessibility, booking, experience. 

Do you have any ideas on how that could work? Would the option of transposing the table work?

hi, @Anonymous

You may try to a custom visual "HierarchySlicer" in MarketPlace.

5.JPG

Then darg field by parent-child structure like below:

6.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin,

That's a good idea but I need the heading of the field to show on the drop down list. The slicer only shows the values of the fields, whereas I need the header.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Sara

hi, @Anonymous

The slicer only shows the values of the fields, whereas I need the header.

Do want to just select the header that like select "year" then show all year, but in power bi, when you don't select any value in slicer, it will like select all, show all values. It doesn't make sense.

If I get it wrong, Can you explain to me according to the sample data and expected output?

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lin, 

If you look at the fields these are:

- accessibility

- booking

- experience

I want to show these in the dashboard, so people can select whether to see comment for each of the topics. So, I'd like to have a slicer with the following:

- accessibility

- Positive

- Negative

- booking

- Positive

- Negative

- experience

- Positive

- Negative

Does that make sense?

hi, @Anonymous

After my research, I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that have a slicer with three columns as you want on your original data structure in Power BI for now. You may try to use three slicers like this:

1.JPG

Also, if you want them in one slicer, you may try to use this way:

In Edit Queries, select accessibility, booking, experience then click Transform-> Unpivot columns

2.JPG

3.JPG

then drag field Attribute and Values into slicer like this 

4.JPG

By the way, This method will turn your this data table three times as large.

and here is demo pbix, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Lin!
I'll try it tomorrow when I get back to work and share results 🙂

Regards
Sara

hi, @Anonymous

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Best Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

It is definitely a good way around it, although I don't think it's gonna work for me as I have 20 different attributes with multiple entries for each, so I feel the data set gets simply too long. 

But I'll marke the solution as such

Thanks, 

Sara

Hi @Anonymous
Do you want to show or hide the whole column based on the filter selection or the values?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Affan, 

If you look at the fields these are:

- accessibility

- booking

- experience

I want to show these in the dashboard, so people can select whether to see comment for each of the topics. So, I'd like to have a slicer with the following:

- accessibility

- Positive

- Negative

- booking

- Positive

- Negative

- experience

- Positive

- Negative

Does that make sense?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.