Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AiolosZhao
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

How to get the value of same period of last year, the period is not contiguous?

Hi all,

I have a column called "Year-Month", and what I need to do is :

1. When I choose the 2019-01, the measure shows sum(value) of 2018-01

2. When I choose the 2019-01 and 2019-02, the measure shows sum(value) of 2018-01 and 2018-02

3. When I choose the 2019-01 and 2019-03, the measure shows sum(value) of 2018-01 and 2018-03

I think it's easy to do the 1. and 2., the problem is 3.

What I did now:

1. Create a measure:

measure1 = sum(value)

2. Create measure 2 :

measure 2 = CALCULATE([measure],FILTER(ALL([Year-Month]),[Year-Month] in {"""" & SUBSTITUTE(CONCATENATEX(DISTINCT([Year-Month]),[Year-Month],""","""),YEAR(TODAY()),YEAR(TODAY())-1) & """"}))

It doesn't work. I don't know why,  could you please help?

Thanks.

Aiolos Zhao

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AiolosZhao  - 

I believe the reason why the summation of the table was missing (as well as the reason why the sample provided by amitchandak works when an additional date column was added) was that SELECTEDVALUE returns the month value only when a distinct value is selected - 

see the documentation here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/selectedvalue-function

In your case where multiple months are applied, SELECTEDVALUE('Date'[Format Month]) returns BLANK() and finally ended up with a blank.

I would suggest trying the following (I guess it should work though I haven't tested yet), where I concatenate all fiscal months of the previous year into one string at the beginning and in the Filter expression I checked if the string contains the specific value which we are looking for 

Last year same months Sales = (
var _month_in_selection = CONCATENATEX(
ADDCOLUMNS(
SUMMARIZE('Date','Date'[Format Month]),"New Column Name",SUBSTITUTE(_sel_val,RIGHT([Format Month],4),(RIGHT([Format Month],4)-1)&"")
),
[New Column Name],";"
) Return CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),all(Sales[Sales Date]),CONTAINSSTRING(_month_in_selection,'Date'[Format Month])) )

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.