Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gisela
Helper I
Helper I

How to get rid of white space in clustered bar chart with measures

Hello,

I have created this clustered bar chart. Each column is a measure. How can I get rid of the white space in the chart? It takes up too much room. When I try to make it narrower, the bars just get thinner and the chart is impossible to read.

I have the measures in VALUE and one 'value' in the AXIS. Nothing in legend.

Appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Gisela

Clustered_bar_chart_with_measures.png

13 REPLIES 13
EduardoSolaft
Frequent Visitor

We should be able to control the width of the bars.

It's frustrating.

ClaytonMUK
Helper I
Helper I

I realise this is a very old thread, but I searched for a solution to the same problem, worked out an answer, so thought I would post. 🙂 My answer was to put my measures into a calculated table. You can then use that table to populate your chart with an x axis (measures) and y axis (measure values). Search how to create that table, but I used something like:

My table = {

("Measure 1",[measure 1]),

("Measure 2",[measure 2))

}

You can then edit the col headers as normal.

skroutela

You can adjust the white space with "Minimum category width"  option available in Format -> Y Axis -> Minimum category with.

You just have to increase the value of minimum category width. 

I tried this on Clustered bar chart and its works for me.

JulietZhu
Helper IV
Helper IV

Does Anybody know the answer? I have the same issue. Please help. Thanks . I didn't see start and end in x-axis either. What should I do ? Thanks

13.PNG

I had the same issue, wanted to see my data labels while removing the extra whitespace around the bars. Try going into the X-Axis format area and playing around with the Minimum category width (setting it to the maximum) and the Inner padding (setting it to the minimum). After that you can adjust the width of the visualization to only encompass the actual data, removing whitespace.AfterAfterBeforeBeforeFormattingFormatting

bsas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @Gisela,

You mean X-axis? or Y?

Axis.png

Hi @bsasIt is the column i have chosen as the 'name'/grouping, in the X axis.

@Gisela,

You can go to format in your visualization, then X-Axis and there set start and Eed. This will help you to show only some data.

@bsas not sure I understand how to do it. This is what I am seeing. There is a start and end in the Y axis but not in the X axis.

visualization.png

@bsas sorry, but I only see start/end in the Y axis. My X axis is not numbers so maybe that is why?

Hi @Gisela,

I guess there are mutiple values in X-axis, and the type of it is text value, right? If it is, why all the bars are clustered together. It should show different categories as follows.

The X-axis has multiple values, each month has two measure's valueThe X-axis has multiple values, each month has two measure's value

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @Gisela,

Have you resolved your issue? If you have, welcome to share your solution or mark the right reply as answer. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.