Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rygaard
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to get "row total" instead of Row Calculation (Row total not working when using % calculations)

The problem :

Rygaard_0-1600263728159.png

I have a site lets call it 100

on site 100 i have 4 different costs (maintaines, rent, pay,,,,) but lets call them Cost 1..Cost4

Rygaard_0-1600258298154.png

on site 100 i have 4 product segments, but this take op more or less space and time so i want to distribute the cost pr segment.

To do this I have made a table of how much each should pay in % of the cost:

Rygaard_1-1600258349297.png

Great

Now i have made a messure that Sum(cost)/100 * % to carry  all good 

so For eksample cost 1 is 100, segment A should carry 95%  = 5$

Rygaard_2-1600258447525.png

GREAT ... Except the row total i very wrong  from my point of view, I ofc would like to know the total cost of Segment A in $

so it should have been 95$+7,5$+10$+37,50$ = 150$

I understand why this happen - and i know i have to make a new table that calculate this pr row  I just have now clue how to do this.

the real world problem is a bit more complex, on eacn site there are different departments, each cost is composed of perhaps 100 accounts, each segment holds perhaps 40 sub-divisions and so on.  (and ofc there is the whole time issue, since everything has dates  - except the cost distribution in %... this get updated every Quarter.

The very simple Version:

Rygaard_3-1600258763997.png

In this version i could just make a new column in the distribution of cost table - this would make it work

But in the real world i cant since expences are related to a date, so I need to be able to select a date, hence 1 absoulute number would only be right for 1 specifik period

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rygaard 

Is this what you are after?

Result.JPG

If so, the problem was the many-to-many relationship in your model.

I've changed the model to this:

Model.JPG

The final measure to distribute the costs is a simple SUMX function:

Distrib Cost = SUMX('Dim Cost', [Sum amount] * [% Carry])

I've attached the PBIX file for your reference

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Rygaard 

Is this what you are after?

Result.JPG

If so, the problem was the many-to-many relationship in your model.

I've changed the model to this:

Model.JPG

The final measure to distribute the costs is a simple SUMX function:

Distrib Cost = SUMX('Dim Cost', [Sum amount] * [% Carry])

I've attached the PBIX file for your reference

In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Paul on Linkedin.

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Rygaard  - can you share some of your measure codes and possibly a bit of sample data in a format where we can copy it?  You will likely need to modify the measures to do different calculations at different summary levels (using something like HASONEVALUE(), since, as you've realized, Power BI tables don't aggregate the lowest level, they re-calculate in the "total" context.

David

½ way to fixing the problem - Now i have isolated the problem, and replaced the "wrong" amount with a 1 - but I dont know how to do the calculation where it will evalueate each row (IF they were in the same table i could just use SUMX but thtey are not

Rygaard_0-1600263313751.png

How strange the file type .pbix is not supported.. so i cant add my pbix file

https://ufile.io/1tlete6y 

@dedelman_clng  the link above is to my pbix

Hi @Rygaard ,

Is there a reason that you are over allocating costs, 'Costs 2' has a total of 110, should it not be 100?

I hope this helps,
Richard

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos Appreciated!

mistake.. but make ZERO difference the problem remains the same...

(and you could emagin a scenarion wher eyou wanted your cost covered 110 % ... witch would mean you made a profit 😉  )

Hi @Rygaard,

I think the issue lies in the way you have modelled the data, your facts are not defined down to the item level, what you have called 'Groupe'. If you transform the data to include a row for every 'groupe' which includes the total site cost and the item allocation you can derived the carried amount without having to use two tables with a many to many join. I get that this is a simplistic scenarion which does not include dates and other dimensionality, but your initial problem will only get more painful if you do not model the data in a way that Power BI is best suited. Facts and Dimensions. In the link below you will find a pbix that merges your data using power query and derives the allocated cost in the fact table.

sample.pbix 

Hope this Helps,
Richard
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

@richbenmintz  - dont worry I have a solid structure on the in the real world where items are in a table with no dublicates and so on.

The reason i can not simply do a calculated collumn as you did is that the real cost relates to dates million of lines.

and the "carry %" is updated once every quarter ...

I could for each line in the cost table do a "what is the % it needs right now"   - but this lock it ... so i cant  change the data set for the Carry % ... but i gues i have to do this and make it static 😞

Hi @Rygaard,

I would suggest that at the fact level you have a carry_pct_date column and an item column and likely a carry_pct_item_key, You could then create a table that included the item_carry_pct, the carry_pct_date and the carry_pct_item_key. Relate the fact to the ratio lookup table on the carry_pct_item_key and create a measure like

carry cost = sumx('facts', divide(fact[amount], related('rate_lookup'[itm_carry_pct]))

Good Luck

Richard
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

I hope this helps,
Richard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.