Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lee_Lv
Regular Visitor

How to get new added measure from excel data model in PBI desktop without recreate exists report ?

Hi, I'm new, tried to find same issue on community but couldn't, please help.

Following is my steps.

1. I create table, query, add "Measure 1" in Power Pivot in excel file then refresh all in workbook.
    2. Open PBI desktop, use import -> Power Query, Power Pivot, Power View -> choose excel file -> Keep connection.
    3. Everything loaded include data and "Measure 1".
    4. I added new data and new "Measure 2" in Power Pivot in excel file then refresh all in workbook, save file.
    5. Refresh in PBI desktop, new data added but "Measure 2" didn't appear in PBI desktop.

Tried publish from PBI desktop and refresh dataset online, but didn't work, new added Measure will not appear in report if need keep report.

Is PBI doesn't refresh new added measure for a exist report or my operation isn't correct, please help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Lee_Lv Once you have imported your powerpivot file into powerbi desktop, any change you make in your excel file will not reflect in the powerbi desktop file. Your powerbi import data only once from the excel file using import option. Once imported it has no dependecny on the original file.

Power BI Desktop analyzes the workbook and converts it into a Power BI Desktop file (.pbix). This action is a one-time event; once the Power BI Desktop file is created with these steps, the Power BI Desktop file has no dependence on the original Excel workbook, and can be modified, saved, and shared without affecting the original workbook.

After the import is finished, a summary page appears that describes the items that were converted, and also lists any items that couldn't be imported.

pl. refer to below documentation for further help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-import-excel-workbooks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

Found.
Import excel file from one drive could synchronize all elements.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Lee_Lv Once you have imported your powerpivot file into powerbi desktop, any change you make in your excel file will not reflect in the powerbi desktop file. Your powerbi import data only once from the excel file using import option. Once imported it has no dependecny on the original file.

Power BI Desktop analyzes the workbook and converts it into a Power BI Desktop file (.pbix). This action is a one-time event; once the Power BI Desktop file is created with these steps, the Power BI Desktop file has no dependence on the original Excel workbook, and can be modified, saved, and shared without affecting the original workbook.

After the import is finished, a summary page appears that describes the items that were converted, and also lists any items that couldn't be imported.

pl. refer to below documentation for further help.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-import-excel-workbooks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Thank you for the answer.

Do you know is there a way could fully connect PBI and excel file, I mean synchronize all elements include any additional measure after refresh in PBI ?

Found.
Import excel file from one drive could synchronize all elements.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.