Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Bryan_Schmidt
Helper I
Helper I

How to get latest Power BI Desktop upgrade

I installed the October version of Power BI Desktop in an attempt to solve a problem and then thought I had deleted it, but when I create a new file (using Version: 2.112.603.0 64-bit (December 2022) then save and close, it opens showing the following 

Bryan_Schmidt_0-1670968962847.png

How can I install the latest version or do what is necessary to eliminate this message?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks very much for the link. I solved the problem by uninstalling Power BI. Surprisingly, the Power BI icon was still on my task bar and was functional. The file that was creating an error message when opening now opens normally and reflects the current version (Dec 2022}. It appears the uninstall process removed the Oct 2022 version but left the current version intact. Whatever happened, I'm glad it now works as expected and appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

Thanks for your response. I solved the problem by uninstalling Power BI. Surprisingly, the Power BI icon was still on my task bar and was functional. The file that was creating an error message when opening now opens normally and reflects the current version (Dec 2022}. It appears the uninstall process removed the Oct 2022 version but left the current version intact. Whatever happened, I'm glad it now works as expected and appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bryan_Schmidt ,

I usually get the latest version of the desktop from this URL.

Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

vcgaomsft_0-1670995232383.png

When you open a Pbix file created by a new version with an old version of the desktop, this prompt usually pops up, click the Close button to ignore it and open it normally.

Try saving as a new file.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly --  How to provide sample data in the Power BI Forum

Thanks very much for the link. I solved the problem by uninstalling Power BI. Surprisingly, the Power BI icon was still on my task bar and was functional. The file that was creating an error message when opening now opens normally and reflects the current version (Dec 2022}. It appears the uninstall process removed the Oct 2022 version but left the current version intact. Whatever happened, I'm glad it now works as expected and appreciate your help.

Mikelytics
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @Bryan_Schmidt 

If you can create by yourself a file which you can not open afterwards because your version is oudated then it sounds liek you have installed two version in the same time. Is this possible? DId you maybe create the file with verison Dec and you default software is October? 

However, if you do not want to have this problem anymore and in future I recommend you to isntall POwer BI Desktop from the Microsoft Store. When you install it from there then all udpates are automatically pushed to you in the background.

Mikelytics_0-1670971149881.png

Best regards

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Appreciate your thumbs up!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit my blog datenhungrig which I recently started with content about business intelligence and Power BI in German and English or follow me on LinkedIn!

Thanks for your response. I solved the problem by uninstalling Power BI. Surprisingly, the Power BI icon was still on my task bar and was functional. The file that was creating an error message when opening now opens normally and reflects the current version (Dec 2022}. It appears the uninstall process removed the Oct 2022 version but left the current version intact. Whatever happened, I'm glad it now works as expected and appreciate your help.

Yes, I did create the new file using the Dec version but when saving it apparently is changed to October. Should I uninstall, then reinstall, Power BI Desktop from the Microsoft store?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.