Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

helalm
Helper II
Helper II

How to get descriptive statistics for multiple columns

I am working on a data set with couple thousands of rows but with more than 300 columns/variable. Most of the variables are categorical and there some continuous. I need to get descriptive statistics including frequency for categorical and measures such as mean, median, std, etc for others. In any statistical packages such as SAS, SPSS, JMP you can just drag and drop as many variables as you want and in one run get the descriptive. Is there a way to accomplish the same in Power BI? any custom visualization are out there that can handle this? The only method that I can think of is to use either R or Python. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thank You

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@helalm  changed type usually relates to it changing your data types, id have to see your code

in power query maybe just remove that step called changed type?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

I got it...works great. 

Thank you.

@helalm  great remember to accept solution so others know what the solution was thanks 🙂

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@helalm  are you importing the data in if so use profile in power query

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/callumgreen/post/Replicating-SSIS-Data-Profiling-in-Power-Query

Thnak you for such quick response. I added Table Profile but received theis message:

Expression Error: The name "Changed Type" wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

@helalm  changed type usually relates to it changing your data types, id have to see your code

in power query maybe just remove that step called changed type?

Here is trhe code:

let
Source = Sql.Databases("99999999999"),
CENCDBST01DEV = Source{[Name="CENCDBST01DEV"]}[Data],
dbo_CENST01_V1 = CENCDBST01DEV{[Schema="dbo",Item="CENST01_01_V1"]}[Data],

#"TableProfiling" = Table.Profile( #"Changed Type" as table) as table

in

#"TableProfiling"

I got it...works great. 

Thank you.

@helalm  great remember to accept solution so others know what the solution was thanks 🙂

Hi there,

I have used Table.Profile function for most part. Now, the requirement somewhat changed and I need to get more stats on multiple variables.
For example, on continous variables suach age, total scores, etc I need to get N, Mean, Median, STDV, Min, Max, and IQR (Interquartile range),
and Box plot graph by let's say sites or clinics (See attached BoxPlot picture and formatting). For categorical, N, column % by let's say sites or clinics ((See attached Category example picture and formatting).
I can create these measures easily and format the report accordingly. However, I Have 80 differrent data sets with more than 1500 variables. Therefore, creatign these measures for 1500 variables would take forever and Table.Profile wouldn't give me all of the stats + Box Plot that I need. Any suggestions?BoxPlot.jpgCategory.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.