Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

admin_xlsior
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to get data from multiple folder

Hi all,

How to get data from mutiple folder ? Normally in most of YouTube video, what I can find is to get data from 1 (one) folder contains multiple files, and then we can combine in Power BI.

But this time I need to get data from multiple subfolder as well. So lets say in 1 folder contains many subfolder and inside of eah of this subfolder have 1 CSV file. I don't need to combine these CSV file, but I need to get those files inside separate subfolder into Power BI at one go. The result in Power BI will be still those separates CSV one by one.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@admin_xlsior  You can import files from folder and subfolder using the below option

negi007_0-1604317373407.png

2. When you get the details of all file in the power query, you have to select the option transform data instead of Combine and transform data

negi007_1-1604317454524.png

3.  now you will see below option on your powequery window. Right click on the binary option and select add as a new query against all your file names. This way you will have seperate table for each file.

negi007_2-1604317559946.png

I hope you follow above steps to reach the solution you are looking for. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi,

Thanks, but my intention is not to get the list only, as described in those blogs. Sorry I probably not described this clearly. 

So, in each subfolder there is CSV files which contain a formatted data. During Get Data - From folder, I can see the subfolder and the filename inside, but that is not what I want to achive, instead all the CSVs on those separated folder can be imported as tables in Power BI. And I don;t want to combine those CSV, because each has different purpose.

So lets say, something like this:

admin_xlsior_0-1604036285047.png

Each of the CSV contain data as per its file name suggested. So the end result I expected is basically 4 different tables :

• Customers
  • Vendors
  • SalesOrder
  • Products 

in my data model.

Thanks

@admin_xlsior  You can import files from folder and subfolder using the below option

negi007_0-1604317373407.png

2. When you get the details of all file in the power query, you have to select the option transform data instead of Combine and transform data

negi007_1-1604317454524.png

3.  now you will see below option on your powequery window. Right click on the binary option and select add as a new query against all your file names. This way you will have seperate table for each file.

negi007_2-1604317559946.png

I hope you follow above steps to reach the solution you are looking for. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Hi @negi007 

Yes, this is what I'm looking for. At least, I don't need to connect again. Many thanks.

rgds,

Hi, @admin_xlsior 

A query represents a table.If you need to get 4 separate and independent tables via folder connector, you  still need to filter them one by one and separate them into four queries.Not taking into account  the query created by connecting fold for the first time, you have to copy three additional queries then  modify them  which require manual operations.

Since you don’t need to integrate them, why not connect these csv file one by one?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.