Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpombal
Post Patron
Post Patron

How to get data from Microsoft ADO data source PIOLEDB from Osisoft

How can I specify a ado connection from Microsoft PowerBI ?

import adodbapi,

I am using python library to connect to  a datasource like this
"Provider=PIOLEDB;Data Source=serverIP;Persist Security Info=False;Integrated Security=SSPI"

adodbapi 2.6.0.7 python library
A pure Python package implementing PEP 249 DB-API using Microsoft ADO.

I see there is a M powerquery function to connect

AdoDotNet.Query(providerName as text, connectionString as any, query as text, optional options as nullable record) as table

Regards

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @dpombal , @v-yuta-msft 

This is a late reply but there is a quicker and more user-friendly way to connect to OSI PI historians (and many, many more). Check this blog post on Power BI Community Blog.

Thanks

Connecting industrial historians to Microsoft Power BI. One connector to get them all… 

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi dpombal ,

Currently, power bi doesn’t support ADO.NET data source with built-in connectors. You can use custom connectors to connect to ADO.NET data source. Please refer to:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/blog/power-bi-user-group-custom-connector/

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi! How can I use custom connector to connect to ADO.NET source? AdoDotNet.DataSource returns a table with some random info in but it doesn't let me navigate to the table i need to navigate to. It contains some funcitons but when I call them they complain that I'm not providing enough arguments and this stuff isn't documented anywhere. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.