Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

petermb72
Helper III
Helper III

How to get a Fiscal YTD Average Column

I have a table of data that gives me a number every day of the year.  I need to get a monthly average of the 30 days, then I need to get a fiscal YTD number for each month.  So I would have an average for month one of 1.5, and a YTD average of 1.5.  In the next month, I would have a montly average of 1.8 and a YTD average of 1.65 (Month one plus month two divided by total days).  I am able to get a sum, of those columns to work, but I am not sure how to get the YTD for the averages to work.  My fiscal year starts october 1.  I used a measure to get the YTD Sum of the number

SumofCMI = SUM('PCC - Daily Census'[Actual CMI]) 

and then I created a measure that gave me the YTD for the fiscal year

YTDfiscal = TOTALYTD([SumofCMI],Sheet1[Date],All(Sheet1[Date]),"9/30")

Now I need to get the Average YTD Fiscal to work.  When I try to change the Sum in SumofCMI to average, The YTD fiscal no longer works.

Any hints or tips on how to do the YTD by month for data that has a record every day?  I am sure this is simple but I am new to power bi and I have been bainging this issue around for the whole week.

Thanks,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @petermb72 

Not sure if you'd like to get below result:

Average YTD = var currentday = MAX('Table'[Date])
var currentyear = YEAR(MAX('Table'[Date]))
var daysnum = IF(currentday<=DATE(currentyear,9,30),DATEDIFF(DATE(currentyear-1,9,30),currentday,DAY)+1,DATEDIFF(DATE(currentyear,9,30),currentday,DAY)+1)
Return 
DIVIDE([YTDfiscal],daysnum)

19.PNG

Pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @petermb72 

Not sure if you'd like to get below result:

Average YTD = var currentday = MAX('Table'[Date])
var currentyear = YEAR(MAX('Table'[Date]))
var daysnum = IF(currentday<=DATE(currentyear,9,30),DATEDIFF(DATE(currentyear-1,9,30),currentday,DAY)+1,DATEDIFF(DATE(currentyear,9,30),currentday,DAY)+1)
Return 
DIVIDE([YTDfiscal],daysnum)

19.PNG

Pbix attached.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.