Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CincyKidd
Frequent Visitor

How to get Power Bi to recognize and plot multiple data points in the same time frame

Hello everyone, a little scary. I'm not a programmer, I am a guy who likes to use numbers to prove things and Power Bi seems to be that tool.

I am looking at metrics and I am trying to simply plot XX by Day. There are several issues.

Since this is a 24/7/365 operation, we run 2 12 hr shifts, so there are multiple shifts in a day (A,B or C,D), each shift is a day or night, Add to that each shift could make multiple widgets, meaning A could make 3 widgets in 12 hrs, where B could make two seperate runs of 4 widgets in 12 hrs.

Here is what 7 days of data would look like:

pic1.png

Because I am not aware of a way to plot individual points vs date, I get a bar chart that sums each day:

pic2.png

7 bars, shifts summed popped up, I was instead hoping to see 19 bars, that I can break out (Quarter Date, Week, ETC).

Is there a solution for this issue? Remember, I am not a programmer, so if there is a solution, I will have to be walked through the solution.

Thanks for your help in advance.

CincyKidd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, almost there!

Lastly, my data is a running data set, meaning I started tracking on June 15th. I understand that I can use the Slicer function to brake the data into months, is there a way to see the data set in its entirity, right now it looks like it is limited to 30 days.

pic3.png

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

CincyKidd

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@CincyKidd

Not quite sure why you'd like 19 lines, data in report usually gets aggreaged instead. However some trick with RANKX can help to get 19 lines instead of 7.

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

Check more details in the attached pbix.

If it solves your problem, please accept it as solution. For more questions, feel free to let me know.

Eric- Thanks for the help, it looks like this might be the trick I was looking for, I will test it out later today and give a report.

By the way, I asked for the split instead of sum so I can look at specific performance. Now I will have the ability to look at combined performance or look at individual.

More to come and thanks again.

CincyKidd 

Ok, two things.

1) what is the significance of the "Index" column?

2) how would I go about putting in the "Rank" column? I see there is code associated with the column.

Thanks.

CincyKidd

1) Index Column, give you starting to 0 or 1 a consecutive value to every row of your data table.

you can create this in Edit Query.

Creating an index starting to 0Creating an index starting to 0

Lima - Peru

Victor-

Could you explain step by step how to develop the "Index" column? I understand how to get into the "Query Editor", but I am lost past that.

Thanks for your help and patience.

CincyKidd

Figured out how to get the "index Column"!

Keeping on working the problem.

Thanks.

CincyKidd

Look my first image in previous post, this guide to where go to find it. Im far from my pc so i cant post a step by step.

Lima - Peru

Ok, almost there!

Lastly, my data is a running data set, meaning I started tracking on June 15th. I understand that I can use the Slicer function to brake the data into months, is there a way to see the data set in its entirity, right now it looks like it is limited to 30 days.

pic3.png

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

CincyKidd

@CincyKidd

It is glad that your problem is resolved. 🙂

Please accept any reply making sense as as solution to close this thread. Thanks.

2) Rank: this is the dax formula, its take in this case the index column and ranked in ascending. (1,2,3, etc)

Create a calculated column and put this:

Rank = RANKX(all('TableName');'TableName'[index];;ASC)

An you can create by this way:

New Column in the table and put this dax formulaNew Column in the table and put this dax formula

Lima - Peru

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.