Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jerime
Frequent Visitor

How to get Distinct Count in one column based on another column with Distinct Count?

I have a table that is setup like below.

AreaAccountsNumber of Accounts with Disconnect Status
New York5885
Florida45530
Arkansas88821
California2348

In the "Accounts" column it is a distinct count of account numbers.  There are a lot of duplicates in this column because each row contains a record that could be any number of statuses.  The "Number of Accounts with Disconnected Status" is a count of a column that has a status which could be disconnected, connected, etc.  I am using the Drillthrough filters to pick the status of the account which is nice but the problem I have is that it gives me the count of all accounts in the "Accounts" column which has duplicates.  I need for it to only count the number of unique accounts with that status.  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I read through that, not getting it. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Sorry, I probably should have said that the example was my Power BI table.  The two related tables that I am using look like this.

Data Table 1

AreaAccount
New York001
Florida002
Florida002
New York001

and

Data Table 2

AreaAccountStatusService
Florida002DisconnectedInternet
Florida002ConnectedInternet
Florida002DisconnectedPhone
New York001ConnectedInternet
New York001ConnectedPhone
New York001ConnectedTV

Now in my Power BI table I am counting the number of distinct accounts from column 2 in Data Table 1 for my Power BI table in the Accounts column.  In the last column, Number of Accounts with Disconnect Status, I am counting the

Power BI Table (pulling data from Data Table 1 & 2)

AreaAccountsNumber of Accounts with Disconnected Status
New York12
Florida10

The above is what I get in my Power BI table.  In the third column I want to get 1 instead of 2 because I'm looking for the number of distinct accounts that have the "Disconnected" status and not the number of times the "Disconnected" status appears in each "Area".  Of course filtering it further with the "Service" would be nice too, but baby steps.

HI @jerime,

You can try to use below measure to achieve your requirement.

Disconnected Status =
VAR currnet_area =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Data Table 1'[Area] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( VALUES ( 'Data Table 2'[Account] ) ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Data Table 2' ),
            'Data Table 2'[Status] = "Disconnected"
                && [Area] = currnet_area
        )
    )

13.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin SHeng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
jerime
Frequent Visitor

?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.