Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

water-guy-5
Helper III
Helper III

How to format multiple text columns

Hello, 

Is it possible to conditionally format multiple text columns with one measure? To explain, I have an "inspection" form with over 200 rows of "yes/no" questions. If there is a no, I would like to be able to highlight that specific column (with a red background, for example). I understand the workaround trick of = IF ( 'Table' [Column 1] ) = "yes", 1, 0) and then conditionally formatting that specific column by 1 = color and 0 = color. However, when working with 200+ columns I was wondering if there was an easier way.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hey @water-guy-5, when I usually have a lot of conditional stuff, I would unpivot the columns, join on a lookup table (i.e. to get your colours) and then if neccesary pivot that back into columns, using your (unaggragted) colour value as the cell value. Some steps below

Inspection1.PNGInspection2.PNG

Select RowID and InspectionDate then unpivot other columns. Merge your lookup table on the new Value column to get the colours for Y and N

Inspection3.PNG

If needed, you could then pivot it back to columns. Although I usually find the long, slim unpivoted table easier to work with

Inspection5.PNGInspection6.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mattww
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hey @water-guy-5, when I usually have a lot of conditional stuff, I would unpivot the columns, join on a lookup table (i.e. to get your colours) and then if neccesary pivot that back into columns, using your (unaggragted) colour value as the cell value. Some steps below

Inspection1.PNGInspection2.PNG

Select RowID and InspectionDate then unpivot other columns. Merge your lookup table on the new Value column to get the colours for Y and N

Inspection3.PNG

If needed, you could then pivot it back to columns. Although I usually find the long, slim unpivoted table easier to work with

Inspection5.PNGInspection6.PNG

Thank you so so so so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.