Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chris7777au

How to format decimal places in a table visualisation?

Hi people.

I have a querry pulling data direct from Dynamics Business Central, which contains a 'quantity' field from our sales orders.  When I add the field to the table visualisation, it's displaying with two decimal places.  I've attempted already to go to Data > Column Tools and changed the Data Type to "Whole Number" and the format to "Whole Number" and the decimals to 0.  It is displaying correctly in the Data View, but the format isn't flowing through to the report view.  The only way I could make it work is to remove the field in the report and re-insert it.  Am I missing something or do changes made in the Data View only take effect if you remove and then add the field again (i.e. it doesn't dynamically update the report).  

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @chris7777au 

Certainly give what @VahidDM has mentioned a go.  It could just be a random glitch in the specific session that may not be repeat again.

The other thing you need to consider is that a visual (such as a Table visual) has its own settings. If formatting settings have been set at the visual level, and then changes to the format (such as decimal places) take place at the Field level using the ribbon's Column formatting options, the visual formatting should not change because the formatting is taking place at separate layers (if that makes sense).

So my understanding of this is that a visual's formatting once set will only change if you change it at the visual level, irrespective of the changes made at the Column / Data View level.

All the best!

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @chris7777au 

Certainly give what @VahidDM has mentioned a go.  It could just be a random glitch in the specific session that may not be repeat again.

The other thing you need to consider is that a visual (such as a Table visual) has its own settings. If formatting settings have been set at the visual level, and then changes to the format (such as decimal places) take place at the Field level using the ribbon's Column formatting options, the visual formatting should not change because the formatting is taking place at separate layers (if that makes sense).

So my understanding of this is that a visual's formatting once set will only change if you change it at the visual level, irrespective of the changes made at the Column / Data View level.

All the best!

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Hi Theo - you got it.  I hadn't realised (I'm new to PowerBI) that you could set the field settings at both the Visualization level and the Data layer.  I'm sure this has a purpose... but it tripped me up.  The visual table must pickup up the formatting from when a field is initially placed in the visual.  Subsequent to that you must either need to change it at the visual level, or remove then add back the field to get it to update to the formating int he data table (if it's been modified).  Thanks for your help.

@chris7777au spot on!  Power BI in itself, whether it be formatting (such as that in your example) or filtering, etc, has been designed with various layers. It's quite sophisticated and, at the same time, very logical.  Enjoy the journey! It's always an enjoyable one! And, if you get stuck on anything, hit up @VahidDM!  The guy is literally one of the most insanely gifted people you will meet across the Community!

VahidDM
Super User
Super User

Hi @chris7777au 

Have you tried to close your report and open it again, then test this?

If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Appreciate your Kudos!!
LinkedIn: 
www.linkedin.com/in/vahid-dm/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.