Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to find the difference of two columns group by different dimensions

The data behind is as below (MasterTable):

Member NumberDate AddedProduct Description Before

Product Description After

MN000101/10/2022AAABBB
MN000130/09/2022AAABBB
MN000220/09/2022CCCDDD
MN000321/09/2022AAAAAA

I want to create a visual that describes the change of product distribution i.e. the distinct count of member number by product description before, compared to the distinct count of member number by product description after.

It is easy to create two bar chart visuals as below:

MMWW777_1-1664758864441.png

The left bar chart is the distinct count of member number by product description before while the bar chart on the right is the distinct count of member number by product description after. However this is not very user friendly as the user want to see the difference between the change i.e. like below:

MMWW777_2-1664759416743.png

For example, product description AAA is the count of distinct member number group by product description after minus the count of distinct member number group by product description before where product description is AAA i.e. 2-1 = 1

I have tried creating a measure like this:

Difference test3 = SUMX(ADDCOLUMNS(SUMMARIZE('MasterTable','MasterTable'[Product Description After]), "Latest Qty", CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('MasterTable'[Member Number])), "Before Qty", LOOKUPVALUE('count previous product test1'[Before Qty],'count previous product test1'[Product Description Before],'MasterTable'[Product Description After])), [Latest Qty]-[Before Qty])

The 'count previous product test1' table is a calculated table as below:

count previous product test1 = calculatetable(ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE('MasterTable','MasterTable'[Product Description Before]),"Before Qty"DISTINCTCOUNT('MasterTable'[Member Number])))

When I create a bar chart of Difference test3 group by Product Description After, it's giving a result as below which is the total distinct member number difference bwteen before and after (3-3=0):
MMWW777_3-1664760485033.png

Note that the above data and visuals are mocked.

It would be great if someone can help me to solve this issue. Thank you in advance 🙂

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Based on what I got

Create a new table Product 

Product  = distinct(Union(distinct(Table[Product Description Before]) ,distinct(Table[Product Description After])) )

The join with both Product Description Before and Product Description After].

Assume after join is inactive

Then have measure likes

Products Before = count(Table[Product Description Before])

Products After = calculate(Count(Table[Product Description After]) , userelationship(Table[Product Description After], Product [Product Description Before]))

Use these measure type of measures to calculate

https://radacad.com/userelationship-or-role-playing-dimension-dealing-with-inactive-relationships-in-power-bi

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak, thanks for your suggestion. This works except that I need count distinct Member Number group by product description i.e.

Product Before test2 = SUMX( ADDCOLUMNS( SUMMARIZE('BOSSPKG DepMaster','BOSSPKG DepMaster'[PREVIOUS_PROD_OPT_DESC]), "before Qty", CALCULATE( DISTINCTCOUNT('BOSSPKG DepMaster'[MEMBER_NO]))), [before Qty])

. Could you help me with how to put userelationship() within sumx() for Product After please?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors