Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RMD
Frequent Visitor

How to find latest date value in a group

Hello Experts,

I am trying to extract only the latest date record row from a table with multiple dates per group.  

For example:  from this table i need only the record row of 1/1/2017 12:00 am of HMY 12.223 and 12.224

So each HMY code can have multiple dates  > I need only the latest date record

Thanks for you help!

Example1.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi AMD,

First, create a measure to see the lasted date of each kind HMY code as following formula:

Measure 2 =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table1'[date] )ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[HMY] ) )

Next, create another measure to judge whether the date of every HMY code equals the lasted date of each kind HMY code, this is to say whether the value of ‘date’ column equals ‘Measure 2’ column’s :

Measure 3 = IF ( MAX ( Table1[date] ) = [Measure 2], 1, 0 )

Then, you will see them showing in the Report view:

9.png

Finally, on the Visual level filters, select the value of second measure which is equal to 1,and after applying this filter, we will see as follows.

10.png

12.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Maggie Li

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar situation but if there is a range date slicer that will control the date range then this solution won`t work because this will give the latest date data based on the raw table but using a date range will not evaluate the next latest date based on range slicer selection.

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi AMD,

First, create a measure to see the lasted date of each kind HMY code as following formula:

Measure 2 =
CALCULATE ( MAX ( 'Table1'[date] )ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[HMY] ) )

Next, create another measure to judge whether the date of every HMY code equals the lasted date of each kind HMY code, this is to say whether the value of ‘date’ column equals ‘Measure 2’ column’s :

Measure 3 = IF ( MAX ( Table1[date] ) = [Measure 2], 1, 0 )

Then, you will see them showing in the Report view:

9.png

Finally, on the Visual level filters, select the value of second measure which is equal to 1,and after applying this filter, we will see as follows.

10.png

12.png

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,
Maggie Li

This was super helpful to me, it let me create a measure for a visual that is effectively equivalent to doing TOP 1 * WITH TIES ORDER BY ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION  BY ID ORDER BY DATE DESC) in sql for my data. Adding in this comment so if anyone is googling how to do TOP 1 WITH TIES in PowerBI, This Is The Way.

@v-juanli-msft is there a way to do this using calculated columns?

I want to pivot the data I have afterwards, so I assume I would need calculated columns instead of measures.

Specifically, I want to do the following:

image.png

Manny thanks Maggie for you help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.