Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

heidibb
Helper IV
Helper IV

How to filter with overlapping conditions

Hello,

I have a data set that has metrics and attributes by assignment:

Capture.JPG

The data structure is set up so i have a table with assignments, and seperate tables for each grading error column:

Blanks

Late Blanks

Needs Grading

Late Graded

Missing Feedback

Each of these mini tables are joined back to my assignment table.

From there, I have slicers set up as so:

Capture2.JPG

This looks like a normal filter, but it's actually 5 seperate, each coming from my smaller tables.

What I ULTIMATELY want is to click Blanks (for example) to show all rows and all information related to asignments that have "blanks". Then, if I also select Needs Grading (or any combination of additional filters), I want to tack on all other rows that have Needs Grading. Some will have overlap, but some will have only blanks and some will have only needs grading.

What I'm getting are rows that have both Blanks AND Needs Grading.

Is there a way to do this??

Thanks in advance!!

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@heidibb  best appraoch would be unpivot your data and then it will work as expected.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I think I've tried that. So i had my data structured to the following

Assignment Key || Grading Error Type || Qty

12345 || Blank || 4

12345 || Missing Feedback || 23

34567 || Late Graded || 5

34567 || Missing Feedback || 45

Then I used the "Grading Error Type" in my filter. When I did this, I got the same result as I do now.

If I select "Blank" from the filter, I would get assignment 12345

If I then select "Missing Feedback" from the filter, I would also get only row 12345 since it meets both conditions.

What I want to happen is to show 12345 *AND* 34567 since each assignment meets one of the conditions.

Does that make sense??

Here is a view using my unaggregated data -- I'm seeing all the fields across the top, with all grading error types.

Capture.JPG

If I select in the filter, it is selecting the rows with and without overlap, but it limits my columns:

Capture2.JPG

Is there a way to still show the other columns of data for the sections that have Blanks and Late Graded?? So, these ARE the assignments I want, but i would also like to see the other columns (Late Blanks, Missing Feedback, Needs Grading).

I think that's where I'm getting hung up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.