Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to filter the options for another filter (multiple times) [testfile/screenshots included]

Hey there,

I want to use a filter to filter the options of another filter. I will be very clear with multiple pictures to show what I mean exactly.

Let's say I have the following dataset (but in reality I have about 100 columns):

ID, AttributeColor, AttributeSize, AttributeType, AttributeRating

1, B, X, AA, 2

2, R, XL, AA, 4

3, G, M, AB, 3

4, B, X, BB, 4

5, B, X, AB, 5

6, B, XL, BB, 3

And what I want is, let's say, filter my dataset on certain values of AttributeSize and AttributeType.

I can create a slicer for AttributeSize and AttributeType, not a problem at all.

However, I want to be able to change the filter in the front-end to be changed to AttributeColor and AttributeRating.

So basically: Filter 1 to select the field I want to filter on, Filter 2 shows the values of the selected field to be filtered on.

What I tried so far:

- Link the same table, but then an unpivoted version of the table.

- Edit relationships. (See pictures below to become very specific)

Edit relationships to make sure the filters are not applicable to the other filtersEdit relationships to make sure the filters are not applicable to the other filtersSo far so good, but as soon as I use the second filter the info doesn't show.So far so good, but as soon as I use the second filter the info doesn't show.Nothing shown, however we know there is a row with the values selected....Nothing shown, however we know there is a row with the values selected....DatasetDatasetDatamodelDatamodel

In case you need a testfile:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApYezvnm5pOshWQW4TGubgDqON7Y

The only thing I can think of right now is create 100 tables for 100 columns to make the right selections. However sometimes the table provided has 91 columns, sometimes it has 97, sometimes 41, and sometimes even the names of the fields change. It depends on the organisatie whether they call something 'AttributeSize' or 'Attribute_Size' or 'SizeAttribute', etc.

I am really stuck, I hope someone can think with me here.

Also, if you need anything more, ask me right away!

Kind regards,

Igor

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there,

Since I want to select among 90-110 filters in the front-end, but only have a max of 4 filters, I decided to copy the Unpivot table 4 times.

Per Unpivoted table I create 1 slicer based on Attribute and 1 slicer based on Value next to it. Repeat this process 4 times, et voila problem solved.

Kind regards,

Igor

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

It seems you may create the slicer table with DISTINCT Function as below. Then set the realtionships to filter the table.1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Cherie, thanks for the suggestion.

However I deal with 100 columns (depends actually, sometimes 90, sometimes 110). So I have to create 110 slicers manually to do this. And still, you already have to choose the slicers you want beforehand instead of users being able to choose them in the front-end.

I want to have 2 filters next to eachother, the first to select the field to filter on, the second to select a value within the selected field. For this you need to have the table unpivoted, that's step 1, but for now I'm lost

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there,

Since I want to select among 90-110 filters in the front-end, but only have a max of 4 filters, I decided to copy the Unpivot table 4 times.

Per Unpivoted table I create 1 slicer based on Attribute and 1 slicer based on Value next to it. Repeat this process 4 times, et voila problem solved.

Kind regards,

Igor

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.