Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pigna
Frequent Visitor

How to filter slicer values using drillthrough if the slicer field is not included in the table?

I am importing data from Analysis Services.

On the first page I have a table with one categorical field (A) and one measure (M).

I want to drillthrough to a second page where I break down the selection using a second categorical field (B).

In the second page I also need to have a slicer of a third categorical field (C).

The problem is that I get all the possible values of C when I open the slicer dropdown menu.

Instead I would like to see only the values of C corresponding to the selected value of A.

Here is an example:

If I were to put on the first page also the C category, this is what I would get:

Category A | Category C | Measure M

X                 | L                 | 1

X                 | M               | 2

Y                 | N                | 3

Y                 | O                | 4

Y                 | P                 | 5

By selecting the first row and going in drillthrough I would only see L in the drop down menu of the C slicer in the second page.

Let's remove the second column. This is now what I get:

Category A | Measure M

X                 | 3

Y                 | 12

By selecting the second row and going in drillthrough I would see all letters (L, M, N, O and P) in the drop down menu of the C slicer in the second page.

But that's not what I want, I would like to only see the C values corresponding to Y, i.e. N, O and P.

Is there a way to make the slicer behave as I want?

If not, is there any workaround?

The reason I am asking is that the real cardinality of the C category is quite high (tens of thousands of different values) and therefore an unfiltered slicer is impractical (searching is also useless since you cannot infer the corresponding C values from the value of A).

1 REPLY 1
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Pigna,

I'm a still little confused about your scenario.

If it is convenient, could you share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the scenario and your desired output, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors