Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: How to filter on a card - works in table view

@JacobPBI  -

The problem is that "Distinct Counts" are semi-additive.

The Line Chart applies the calculation for each year, e.g. answers the question for 2018:

In 2018, how many products had a session count greater than 5?

The sum of the Line Chart could potentially be less than the Card if an App had 7 total sessions, but 3 were in 2017 and 4 in 2018 - in that case, the App, which is counted in the Card, would not be counted at all.

In other cases, the sum of the Line Chart could count the same App twice, e.g. it had more than 5 sessions in 2017 and more than 5 in 2018.

Hope this helps,

Nathan

JacobPBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Aha, i see. Thank you for the response - is there any workaround for this?

Super User
Super User

@JacobPBI  - What are the desired results?

JacobPBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

So in regards to what you explained to me very brilliantly, i believe it would make more sense for the "reader" of the dashboard - if the sum of the line chart correlates with the KPI. This meaning no dublicates that you mentioned could happen Smiley Happy

Super User
Super User

@JacobPBI - So you would only want the App to appear in 2017 or 2018, even though it actually applies for both? Which year would you want it to be included, and which year excluded?

JacobPBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

So i actually do have a year/month filter in the report - but i guess it is not possible to do without making the filter static? Or am i misunderstanding?

Super User
Super User

@JacobPBI - I don't understand - The question is: what do you want the value to be for 2017, 2018, 2019, separately, and summed up? Do you want the card to find the value for each of the 3 years, and then add them together?

JacobPBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@natelpeterson 

Hi Natel,

When i use the slicer (filter) in my report and choose year 2017 i want to get the total sum of 2017 as the KPI but in the line graph i want them to be distributed by month. So when adding all the months together that should match the total sum KPI number. If i filter on 2018 the same story with the total sum in the kpi for 2018, and the total sum distributed by month of 2018. Same story for 2019.

I hope this is better to understand Smiley Wink If it is possible to work out it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Super User
Super User

@JacobPBI - You could add the following additional measure, and compare the results between the two. The new measure specifically adds up the values from the months. :

Current Measure:

Above5 =
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        SUMMARIZE ( VALUES ( Tabel[AppId] ); [AppId]; "ABCD"; [UniqueSessionsCount] );
        [ABCD] > 5
    )
)

New Measure:

Above5 Sum Months = 
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        ADDCOLUMNS(
            SUMMARIZE ( Tabel; [AppId]; 'working dates'[RelativeMonth] ); 
            "ABCD"; [UniqueSessionsCount]
        );
        [ABCD] > 5
    )
)

Hope this helps,

Nathan

JacobPBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

@natelpeterson  Hi Natel - so i understand the issue i am facing - but i still have not been able to solve the problem. The linegraph still shows if a user has been online both months with more than 5 sessions. Is there any way where the app id (in this case) is only counted once even though i filter on multiple months and/or years?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Back to School Contest

Back to School Contest

Engage and empower students with Power BI!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Summit Australia 2019

Summit Australia 2019

Travel to Melbourne and network with thousands of peers!

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

Top Ideas
Users Online
Currently online: 27 members 764 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: