Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gvg
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

How to filter by max value in power query

Hi experts,

Could you help me to figure out how to filter a column by max value in that column in Power Query or Power BI query editor? The problem is that I do not know beforehand what max value will arrive in the table's column. I've been trying out to make a new column with the maximum value with the help of List.Max and Table.Max but they do not seem to accept a column as an argument.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Example code:

let
    Source = #table(type table[Value = Int64.Type],List.Zip({{1..10}&{1..10}&{1..10}})),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Value] = List.Max(Source[Value])))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

You can generate base code for the 2nd step by filtering on just some value and then adjust the generated code as in the example code.

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Example code:

let
    Source = #table(type table[Value = Int64.Type],List.Zip({{1..10}&{1..10}&{1..10}})),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Value] = List.Max(Source[Value])))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

You can generate base code for the 2nd step by filtering on just some value and then adjust the generated code as in the example code.

I must be missing something as I can't translate that code to my use case.

If there are other users like me in the same position, then hopefully this will work on any table:

let
    Source = TableName,
    MaxValue = List.Max(Source[TableColumn]),
    Source1 = Source,
    IsMaxLogical = Table.AddColumn(Source1, "IsMax", each if [TableColumn] = MaxValue then true else false, type logical),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(IsMaxLogical, each [IsMax] = true)
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

Kind of like what the OP would acheive but with extra steps (for the uninformed!)

Thanks for nice solution.@MarcelBeug

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks mate!  Helped me out too!  Nice one!  

Thanks a lot that helped me too!!

Is there a way in M that we can make it evaluate based on a ID and Insert Date, meaning if ID 123 is repeated 5 times with following insert dates:

6/10/18 11:10 PM
6/12/18 10:10 PM
6/13/18 9:10 AM

6/14/18 10:10 AM
6/14/18 12:10 PM

It returning the 5 th Row Only, basically Group By in a way

Great. Thanks!

Found another way. First, sorted column Descending. Then added index column starting from 1. Then this formula 

#"Added Index2" =Table.AddColumn(addindex, "xxx", each if addindex[HighestSatisfaction]{1}=
HighestSatisfaction] then [HighestSatisfaction] else null)

gave me the required result. But your way is shorter!

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Regarding your solution: you are comparing with the first runner up: {1} returns the second value.

Power Query is zero-based, so for the first value you should refer to {0}.

Well, 0 starting index is a default value. You can actually choose whether you want to start from 0 or 1.

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

That's correct, but you are still refering to the second row: {1} doesn't refer to a value, but to a row number.

Edit: so actually you don't need the Index column at all...

OK, understand. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.