Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Guli
Helper I
Helper I

How to filter a table based on selected slicer result.

I have two tables like below:

Table A:

Guli_0-1596317498042.png

Table B:

Guli_1-1596317541582.png

I want to relate these two tables, but since their relationship is many to many, using Related function is not useful.

My objective results are:
when select ID=1:
Table A will be like:

Guli_2-1596317734561.png  

I wish I could dynamically create this type of table A, having matched value from Table B based on the slicer ID.
What I did is to create a bridge table, Temp, using the expression of 

Temp= FILTER('Table B','Table B'[ID]="1"), this can help me create a temp table with only ID=1 case, and then using the expression of 
matchkey _withTableB=
CONCATENATEX('Temp',IF(SEARCH(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table B'[Filmtype],1),Table A[Film],,999) <>999,'Table B'[Filmtype],""))
it worked.

However, when I wrote the temp table as :
Temp=FILTER('Table B','Table B'[ID]=convert(selectedvalue (Table B[ID]),string)), aim to set the filtered condition ID as a result of slicer,  it does not work.

Any suggestions would be wonderful, thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Guli ,

You can set the many-to-many relationships status as inactive and create this measure to achieve it:

matchkey_with_TableB = 
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( 'Table B'[ID] ),
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table B'[Filmtype] ),
        USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Table A'[Film], 'Table B'[Filmtype] )
    )
)

userelationship.png

Attached sample file that hopes to help you: How to filter a table based on selected slicer result.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Guli ,

You can create this measure:

indicator = 
IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Film]) = 'Table A'[matchkey_with_TableB],
    1,BLANK()
)

indicator.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Guli ,

You can set the many-to-many relationships status as inactive and create this measure to achieve it:

matchkey_with_TableB = 
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( 'Table B'[ID] ),
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table B'[Filmtype] ),
        USERELATIONSHIP ( 'Table A'[Film], 'Table B'[Filmtype] )
    )
)

userelationship.png

Attached sample file that hopes to help you: How to filter a table based on selected slicer result.pbix

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

@v-yingjl , it would be wonderful if you could have a good at this question:) After match these two tables, I need to have a match indicator, to see whether the value in these two columns is the same. I used the following DAX, I was expecting to see 1 when Film=matchkey_with_TableB, but it did not work. Do you have any solution for this? Thank you.

@v-yingjl , the DAX is 

indicater = IF('Table A'[Film]='Table A'[matchkey_with_TableB],1,BLANK())
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Guli ,

You can create this measure:

indicator = 
IF(
    SELECTEDVALUE('Table A'[Film]) = 'Table A'[matchkey_with_TableB],
    1,BLANK()
)

indicator.png

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

@v-yingjl Thank you!!

Thank you so much@Yingjie, this solution solved my problem!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Guli - Put a bridge table in  between them. Use the Bridge table in your slicer. A bridge table just has a distinct list of values from your tables. You can construct one like this:

Table = DISTINCT(UNION(SELECTCOLUMNS('Table1',"SomeName",[Column1]),SELECTCOLUMNS('Table2',"SomeName",[Column2])))

Make sure "SomeName" is the same for both.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you@Greg_Deckler.  The result is not quite what I want, it would work if I can figure out how to dynamically create a table(Or say, dynamically filter a table).

I want to filter table A as table B, based on the condition when Table A[column 1] is the result of a slicer(I will use column 1 as slicer). If I specifically point out

Table B=FILTER('Table A','Table A '[column 1]="1"), it will be a table that filtered from Table A with column 1=1,

what should I do to make this dynamic? I don't want to point out,' Table A '[column 1]=something every time, instead, using,'Table A '[column 1]=selectedvalue(Table[column 1]), but something this does not work. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

@Guli - If you don't want to use a bridge table, and I'm not sure I understand why you are opposed to this, you could potentially use a Complex Selector - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/The-Complex-Selector/m-p/1116633#M534

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.