Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marlonip
Frequent Visitor

How to filter a bar chart without applying the filter to the entire hierarchy

Hey guys.

Here's the situation. I designed a simple bar chart that shows a certain financial amount per manager; given that the organization have several managers, the director asked to see only the managers which the total amount is higher than a certain value, so I added a filter on the chart to bring only the manager that the amount under his responsibility is equal or higher than the value the director pointed. So far so good.

Now the director wants to see, on the same chart, individually per manager, how this particular amount is distributed throughout the cost centers each one is responsible in a form of drilldown, due to the fact that each manager is responsible for several cost centers. So, in other words, he wants to click on a manager on the chart and see how his amount is distributed on the cost centers that he is responsible for and to be able to filter the others charts on the dashboard by the cost center as well.

The problem I'm facing happens when I add the cost center into the chart so we can perform the drilldown, because the value filter is being applied on the total amout of the cost centers individually and I want the filter only to apply to the manager level. Here's an example of what I'm trying to explain:

Obs: Imagine each manager as a bar of the chart and the value is the size of the bar. The filter for this situation is considering only the managers with values higher than 100.000.

Values without the cost center into the chart

Alan: 1.49MI

Oscar: 0.66MI

Joe: 0.46MI

Jim: 0.39MI

HIllary: 0.18MI

Maria: 0.14MI

Values with the cost center into the chart

Alan: 1.04MI

Oscar: 0.58MI

Joe: 0.33MI

Jim: 0.18MI

HIllary: 0.12MI

Maria: 0.11MI

Allan, for example, is responsible for 4 different cost centers and, due to the filter on the value, only 3 cost centers are being considered, having the smallest cost center being kept outside of the selection.

So my question is: how can I keep my chart filtered to display only the managers with amounts over 100.000 and still be able to see all the cost centers under each particular manager?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
marlonip
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure it out.

I don't know, though, if it is the most optical solution or maybe my question was too dumb (I'm just starting working with PBI) but here's what I did to work my way around the problem: I created a new measure that ignores all the filters on the cost center dimension (= CALCULATE([Amount], ALL([Cost Center])) then applied the filter on this new measure, keeping the first measure on the chart. 

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
marlonip
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure it out.

I don't know, though, if it is the most optical solution or maybe my question was too dumb (I'm just starting working with PBI) but here's what I did to work my way around the problem: I created a new measure that ignores all the filters on the cost center dimension (= CALCULATE([Amount], ALL([Cost Center])) then applied the filter on this new measure, keeping the first measure on the chart. 

Thanks!

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I am not sure of how much i can help but share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Thank you Ashish, but I was able to figure it out!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.